Go Bottom

Decision time - stuck stuck stuck TC24D or TC 29D

View my Photos
horstuff
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-30          81522

Hey there all.

I have "decided" on a NH TC24D ($19,700 TLB), and have set the wheels to spinning regarding setup, delivery, etc. Should be here in 2 days. BUT...

I am wondering if I shouldn't bump up to the NH TC29D for about $3500.00 more (even though I very much prefer the new curved loader on the small and large Boomers. The 29, or mid-sized, can only take the 7308 loader). I have done enough research at this point (with everybody on TBN's help ) to narrow it down to these two. A few days ago I was sure that the 24 was right for me, but now I find myself in that black hole otherwise known as "The One And Only Tractor For Every Job That I Will Ever Need It For-itis". My place is just 1.5 acres, and I mainly have just landscaping to do, move a bit of topsoil and gravel, plant a whole bunch of trees, dig a couple utility trenches (I am definitely going TLB, no matter which I choose), etc. etc.

I am going to have a riding lawn mower or a zero turning radius mower, so I won't be mowing lawn with the tractor.

It's a drag, but I am just not getting past the thought of the 24 as a "lawn tractor on steroids", as somebody here has described other small CUT's. Maybe it's a guy thing, thinking that riding around on the 29 would be like being on a "real" tractor, and that the 24 would feel like a toy (even though I know it's not). Maybe it boils down to the thought of needing the bigger one in those moments when you wish like hell you had a bigger machine. Maybe those moments occur just as frequently in the opposite direction, where you have a biggun' but wish like hell you had a smaller one. I don't know.

I have had 5 acres before and I know that there is no such thing as too big of a machine WHEN YOU NEED IT. Aargh. So, I now am thinking that, even though I have very small acreage, maybe the 29 would do everything faster, and the tradeoff (the 24's mobility and driving gingerly onto the lawn and getting into close quarters) would be worth it. But, in reality, I only need the small one now (I don't mind the extra time it would take to do stuff on the 24, although I wonder if the extra trips would reduce the life of the machine). My immediate future holds ALOT of landscaping and driving around on the lawn, probably, to dig tree holes and dress areas of the yard.

Maybe the thing to do is get the 24, do what I need to do now, then, if and when I get more land, trade it in and buy a bigger one.

Ultimately, in a dream scenario, I would have ten acres with a TC24D and a TC35D. The small one for versatility, barn chores, maintenance, etc., and the large one for doing the big, big jobs that I know I will need to do when I have more acreage and more rough-in work to do. That, though, is for a later time. Any thoughts you all may have are much appreciated.

Bobby

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-30          81530

First of all if your thinking of a 29 I would go to the 33 it should only be about $900.00 more than the 29. I have a TC33D and absolutely love it. It is small, but big enough to do all I need. To save some money you could buy a Rhino backhoe. Rhino makes the OEM hoe for New Holland. I just ordered a Rhino for my TC33 (7.5ft) For $5275.00 mounted and out the door. This was over $2000.00 less than the closeset NH hoe,which is identicle to the Rhino. $2000.00 will go along way towards the bigger tractor. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-30          81550

I think you'll find that the tool you have is the one you get used to and it will do the job. When digging a smaller bucket takes more bites than a big one to do the job, but unless you're doing it commercially for profit the extra time spent is usually not a big deal. If you are moving a pile 'O gravel you may have to make a few more trips, but again so what? Extra use may cause it to wear marginally faster, but are you really going to put 4000 hours on it during the time you own it?

IMHO, buying a bigger machine "just in case" is generally not money well spent. Now, that sexy curved 14LA loader is another story... ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-31          81755

How about going tc33 and forget the back hoe? For how often you may use that thing you can rent one for over $5000 savings? I dont know, I think the room it would take up (the hoe) and for how many times you would use it
(I may be wrong maybe you would find new friends lol) I would opt for the MAN-LY tractor without the hoe. Its alot of money if your not planning a huge project for it which may take weeks to do. If all you need is a trench or 2 dug rent one and keep eveyone happy in the house (you-with the bigger tractor, and the wife byt telling her you have decided to take her on a weekend trip and still save $4500 by not going tlc)
Your call, but I like the tc33 idea!
(this is fun when its not your own decision to make) LOL!! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-04-01          81785

I have the Green version of your TC24...... a JD 4115 TLB and 2.3 acres.

Maybe it's because I stepped up from a BX22, but I couldn't ask for a better size/power combo. It does all I ask of it and more.

If you gave me a bigger tractor I would sell it and keep what I have. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login