Go Bottom

Water in the Wheels

View my Photos
johnathon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-20          96858

I was told to make sure I have water/chemical solution in the wheels or ask about weights for the tractor before I purchase.
I am still looking at the New Holland TC35a and plan on leveling out some ground with a box blade and some plowing later on with a double bottom plow . How much weight will I need and or water/chemical solution in the wheels is required? Thanks for your help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Water in the Wheels

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-20          96865

The first thing I do is qualify the need for adding fluid to tires. The added weight adds day to day costs of operating a tractor by at least increasing fuel consumption. If the tractor is used for mowing then you also need to look at the lighter the better for this operation. If you can pull the two bottom plow with out it, don't add it. We do pull two bottoms in our area without it on four wheel drive tractors that size here in NY. ....

Water in the Wheels

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-20          96869

Tire manufacturers prefer the use of wheel weights. Also, with weights they can be removed if you want.
After working on some old tires/rims that were filled, I vowed to never, ever fill the tires on a tractor that I was planning to keep or that I had to work on myself.
Good luck,
Bill ....

Water in the Wheels

View my Photos
beagle

2004-09-20          96871

Use wheel weights if necessary. Having the extra weight from filled tires when you don't need or want it can be a problem at times. The advantage to wheel weights, or even filled tires, over ballasting is the reduced wear on the rear wheel bearings and axle housing seals. You will also notice that the wheel weights increase the stability of the tractor.

The amount of ballasting required should be covered in the operators manual for the tractor. If you do have the tires filled, stay away from Calcium Chloride. It is nasty on the rims. There are several products out there that are safe for the rims. ....

Water in the Wheels

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-20          96911

Some tractors almost demand loaded tires to get enough ballast for safe loader ops. My JD manual doesn't give an option for NOT loading the tires with a loader. That doesn't mean you can't get enough ballast without loading, but JD dealers often go by the manual so if you get a loader you get loaded tires. Not sure about NH. If you get your tires loaded you would be well advised to get a tube installed first to help protect the rim. The advice to not use calcium chloride is good, but alternative solutions like Rim Guard aren't available in all areas. If you do get calcium it will likely be many years before rust becomes an issue, but it's probably best to avoid it when possible. ....

Water in the Wheels

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-09-20          96929

Likewise. My NH dealer said that they automatically load the tires on all the tractors they sell, unless directed otherwise. Since I use mine to mow the lawn, I passed on having the tires loaded.
Also, if you ever have to remove a wheel (I had to take a rear one off to install my remotes) you will have trouble managing it if it is loaded. They are heavy to the point of being dangerous if you're not prepared.
Good luck,
Bill ....

Water in the Wheels

View my Photos
johnathon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-21          96935

Greatly appreciate all the advice. Thanks for your time and concern. I am off to the NH dealer this week to hopefully get my tractor. Looking forward to all those projects.
Thanks again ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login