Go Bottom

Need advice before Buying Ford NH 1720 tractor

View my Photos
Lou
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-12-01          10534

I have the chance to purchase a Ford 1720 tractor with a front end loader and heated hardshelled cab. It has 480 hrs and was used primarily to clear sidewalks by a small town. The dealer said the tractor looks very clean and would be a good buy for $15,000. I have no experience with tractors of any size but I have been pricing them and this appears to be a decent deal for the size machine. It is very difficult to locate used compact tractors in my area. How is the reputation for the Fords in particular the 1720 model? Is it a dependable tractor for starting and snow removal? The dealer also had a JD 770 for $11,800 which I was considering but the Ford looked so much bigger and had alot more options for an additional $3,200. Please give some comments on the quality of the Ford and is there any comparison of the JD and Ford or are they just two different machines not comparable?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tractorman

1999-12-01          10551

I saw your post. you should contact me if your in the northeastern U.S. I have a like new New Holland 1630 Tractor w/ 100 hrs. for sale. Others coming in as well. Thanks ....

View my Photos
lprock25

1999-12-02          10562

I wanted to add to my original post that the Ford 1720 is a 1994. Who built the fords in 1994 was it the same company as 1999 or different. Was 1994 a good or bad year for Ford tractors. Some people around here say they have no complaints with their ford compacts. Is there a difference between the Ford 1720 and the NH 1720 or is it the same machine? ....

View my Photos
Don

1999-12-02          10593

Lou,
For what I can tell, the differences between the 20 series, 30 series, and boomers in mainly the "skin", the addition of a few (very nice) creature comfort features such as the swivel seat, electric hydrostat lock, etc, and the availability of hydrostat transmission with higher hp engines. I believe the 20's were manufactured by Shimbaru in Japan and imported pretty much assembled. It appears the 30's and boomer's are also manufactured by Shimbaru, but without the hood, fenders, etc., which are added in a final assembly plant in the US (Georgia?).
My only comment about the 1720 is that it won't have a hydrostat, but probably has the 12x12 shuttle. If you are going to use it for mowing or snowremoval with a snowblower, I would strongly recommend a true hydrostat. The hydro will save time mowing and snowblowing is easier when you can instantly vary the ground speed to maintain the proper snow feed rate. For typical loader work, I understand the shuttle works great.

View my Photos
javacamp

2009-12-10          167385

I own a 1720 and it's good machine but that is expensive for a 1720 ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-10          167389

I don't know the Ford line, but if the model designation means it's a 17 or a 20 HP engine, that seems overpriced, even with the cab.

If you wanted to give your location and intended use, you'll get more specific advice. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-12-10          167390

Java, that post is 10 years old.

The 1720 is about the size of my NH TC33D----17 nor 20 denote anything. FWIW, mine listed at $16,500 without any tools or other things. I hear the same machine now is $28,000. ....

View my Photos
javacamp

2009-12-10          167393

ooops! pardon the new guy..LOL ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-12-10          167410

OK Java this will cost you. Earthwrks will never let you live this down. Only worst for him is when I mispell something. :)

I wondered why the firt post did not give number of post but missed the time lag. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-12-10          167413

Kenny RIGHT again you are: it's misSpell---TWO eses LOL ....

View my Photos
NewHollguy

2011-01-07          176269

i own a 1720 as well as a 2120 and if you can get one for that price it is a sweet deal. these tractors are very dependable and will start at 20 below zero without a wince.my 1720 only uses a quart of fuel in about 5-7 hrs so they are very conservative. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-01-07          176273

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacamp | view 167385
I own a 1720 and it's good machine but that is expensive for a 1720

Guys that post is over 11 years old so that price may have been a good one. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login