Go Bottom

Please help an old city boy

View my Photos
vfrpilot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-11          125935

Just retired and moved to Virginia. I recently bought a 1998 New Holland TC25 tractor with a loader, mower, rake, auger etc. The problem I have is starting it. I don't know what I am doing wrong but it turns over and over and blows out smoke but is very had to start. I've tried holding the key in (maybe I need to hold it in longer?) but it just is a dog to get going, any suggestions? Do you thing my pre-heater is bad? Should I keep the engine heater plugged in?(its not cold in the garage). Anyone that thinks I'm doing something wrong or knows of a trick that would fix the problem I would be greatly appreciative.
Thanks in advance.
Red

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-11          125938

You might try changing the throttle position, most tractors start best just off an idle but they are all different. The cranking speed is also critical to good starts so if it's slow it won't start well. This is a tough call to make without listening to it. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-11          125941

Like that handle, by the way, Red.

Advance the throttle slightly over minimum (high idle), engage the preheater and count to ten then engage the starter. As Art said the motor has to turn realitively fast, a slow turning diesel will be hard to start.

How much smoke it is producing while cranking? You may have some injector or injector pump issues if there is more than just a small puff.

At a 1998 vintage, the battery if origional, is probably due for replacement, this may help.

At the outside air tempretures you are at it should start fairly easily.

Larry ....

View my Photos
vfrpilot

2006-03-11          125948

Thanks for your quick reply Art.

The battery seems fine and I have been playing with the throttle, maybe I am advancing it too far? ....

View my Photos
vfrpilot

2006-03-11          125949

Thanks for your imput Larry,

Like I mantioned to Art the battery seems ok, the engine turns over quickly. When I engage the pre heater how exactly am I supposed to do it? I "assume" you just push the key in and thats it? Should I get a ready light because I'm not getting any. As far as the smoke goes its a lot, certainly more then just a puff as you mentioned. I'm beginning to think that maybe the preheater isn't working and I'm flooding the engine with fuel. Here is exactly what I am doing and what it is doing;

Put everything in neutral, raise the fuel throttle a bit, turn the key to the on position and hold it in for about 30 seconds, then turn the key to start. The engine turns over and it starts to pump out a yellowish/gray smoke. If I keep advancing the throttle and pulling it back it seems to help. The engine will start to run then stall, it will do this several times until it begins to start. Once it starts it runs rough for a few seconds (5-10) and then runs as normal. I give it a few minutes to warm up while I go outside to breath and then I go back and take it out. It runs great once its started and warmed up but its just a dog to get going.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it.

Red ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-11          125951

Red, if you have the owners manual I'd take a look at it for help. I consider them a must for proper procedures. I don't know that the Red ones I sell were the same as the 98 versions or not and CRS has me in grips! It does sound like the glow plugs aren't working. What is the temp when you are starting? ....

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-03-11          125957

Red, I am not sure how the 98 works but on my 2003 TC 24 you turn the key to the on position and then turn it a little more to turn on the glow plug light on. After about 5 seconds or so or when glow plug light goes off I turn it to the start position. When I got my tractor two years ago, stupid me was turning the key on and waiting about 5-8 seconds and then hitting the starter. The result was the same thing you are getting -smoke coming out and long crank to start. Finally figured out from the guys here I was just skipping over the glow plug position. Now it starts right up.
Good Luck
Dave ....

View my Photos
vfrpilot

2006-03-12          125959

Thanks Art, I dont know if the glow plugs are working or not. How would I know what the temperture is when it starts? ....

View my Photos
vfrpilot

2006-03-12          125960

Thanks Dave, I ordered an owners manual online yesterday, when it comes I'll closely look over the starting instructions and see if im doing something wrong. Believe it or not I bought this tractor on ebay from a guy in Tenn. When they shipped it in and dropped it off the driver drove it off the truck out in the street and said have a nice day. It took me 5 minutes to figure out how to drive it up the driveway. The tractor is in really nice shape and the guy I bought it from was super nice. I'm sure its me, I'm doing somethng wrong (i hope). ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-12          125961

I was after the air temperature that you are starting the tractor in. They do have their limits as to how cold they will start. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-03-12          125964

My Kubota ignitions switch works just like dkheckmanl said his works. Look for (2) "start" positions on the switch. The first is for the glow-plugs. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-03-12          125966

On my 2000 TC29 you turn the switch all the way toward the right (clockwise) to pre-heat; then push in to crank. I think the manual suggest 10 seonds but a little longer works better (starts faster, less smoke). Best yet is to leave the block heater plugged in if the temp is less than 50 degrees; again it starts faster and with less smoke. In any case my tractor smokes some at start up; has since new.

Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-03-12          125986

The smoke at cranking is actually a good thing with these engines. This tells you that you are getting fuel. You should have an indicator light on you dash (orange) that should come on when you are at the right key position and also when cranking. If this is not coming on I would check the fuses. Open the hood and while at the front looking to the back they are on the left side fire wall behind a rubber flap/ door. ....

View my Photos
oldrental

2006-03-13          126078

Do you have a dealer in the area. Maybe you should go by and ask him to show you around a little. He should not mind helping you out. The worst thing possible is to have a guy in your area that talks bad about the NH they have. Plus sooner or later you will needs parts.

We are in Alaska and we start our units as low as -20F. Starting in the cold will depend on a block heater along with the glow plugs for the engine, a pad heater on the hydrostat or transmission.

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-03-13          126079

AF

When I turn mine to the glow plug position the amp gauge registers a deflection in the needle to show the glow plugs are engaged or working. I hold mine for 30 seconds couple puffs of dark smoke and we are off. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
vfrpilot

2006-03-13          126082

Wow! I really appreciate all the help and great suggestions. I've been toying around with it and i'm not sure if its because I'm starting it several times a day or if its because all of these work but it seems to be starting much easier. As soon as my manual comes its going to be interesting to see what the actual starting procedure is. I'll post it here and let you all know.

Thanks again.
Red ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-03-14          126084

Red, starting a tractor more often won't cure a problem but it might be good practice for you. Glad to hear that everything is working better. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login