Go Bottom

round baler

View my Photos
truckerzee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-12          125998

I,m looking at an older model New Holland round baler. Late seventies or early eighties. Uses chain to form bales rather than belts. Could be a model 846 or 853, forgot to look . Makes a 4ft x 5ft bale. It appears in good shape, has been shedded. Were these good balers in their day, & are they still? Owner says it works great, but since I just met him I want some info from unbiased owners. I,m only doing 50 acres grass hay, so don,t need a fancy, high, output unit.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

round baler

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-12          126002

The chains always wore, look at the links well. Ask if they have been changed. I think those were a fixed chamber which means you can only make a full bale. If you are baling alfalfa the leaf loss would be higher then with the belt system. ....

round baler

View my Photos
agriman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-20          126394

Chain balers are a little more forgiving than a belt baler . They will round most anything you throw at them but you have to keep them out of the dirt! Dirt crops like peanut will take a toll on the chains. Like Art said make sure you look at the chain links for excessive wear. Be sure to check the floor chains and guides. A bad guide can cause a new chain to hang up.

Chains and guide are expensive but if the baler is in decent shape and your not using everyday you should be fine.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login