Go Bottom

TC33DA 10amp fuse blows whilst using the lights

View my Photos
Muensterman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-17          126209

After about 10-15 minutes of using my headlights whilst the tractor is running, the top 10 amp fuse in the fuse box always blows out. I have also left the lights on for lighting whilst doing some yard work and the fuse blew. One time, my low beam headlight blew up, New Holland replaced the light and the clouded headlight assembly.

I can understand the fuse blowing when the tractor is off, but it is confusing as to why it would blow whilst the tractor is running. Just recently, the fuse blew, so I put a new one in, and as soon as I turned the ignition, it blew before the tractor even turned over.I went through 3 fuses doing that. New Holland came out and looked at, replaced fuses and added a circuit breaker. The service rep said that he had no idea why it would be blowing when the tractor is running. He did say how ever that the altinator should be running at 14amps, and he meaused it once at 13, then again at 14.

Any body have any ideas?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-17          126214

Slow-blow fuses will take a while to pop, especially if the short is minor. But adding a circuit breaker is poor troubleshooting in my book; I like fixes, not workarounds. If it's now blowing the fuse without popping the breaker, then he put the breaker in the wrong place anyway.

First guess is a bad receptacle on that low beam that blew up earlier. Narrow it down by pulling the 12v supply to that receptacle, and run the rest of the lights for the requisite 15-20 minutes.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-17          126243

Hopefully NH reworked some design flaws since I bought my 2003 TC33D. I have numerous electrical anomolies that come and go---turn signals, glow pulgs that work sometimes, ignition swicthes that sometimes don't work, main fuses that blow, fuel cutoff solenoid that work turn on sometimes, etc.. The dealer just shruggs his shoulders. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-18          126271

It sounds like they are becoming more like their parent company FIAT (Fix It Again Tony). The sixties and seventies Fiats left you chasing shorts all the time.
On a tractor there is a lot of vibration compared with a car. Small shorts can develop where the wire contacts any sharp edge. I would run the wires and check for breaks in the insulation. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-03-20          126381

The main problem is moister in the connections. Just about every New Holland I worked on that had electrical problems the plugs were corroded. Sometimes so bad that I could not separate it. They do not use dielectric grease on any thing. Then there is the relays that stick one way or the other. Just a total night mare. ....

View my Photos
Muensterman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-22          126498

Thanks to all for the replies. NH said that they followed all the wires and looked for shorts, found nothing. Checked out the fuse box and just about everything they could related to the wiring.

I do have to give thanks to New Holland in New Baltimore, Va. Though they didn't find anything wrong with the last visit, they are always quick to respond, and understand the frustration of the owner of the tractor rather than just shrugging their shoulders and acting like it's not their problem.

The plan now is that if it occurs again, I am going to leave it, they are going to pick it up, take to the shop and do a more thorough investigation than what a service person can do. My warranty ends in early summer, and there was talk of extending the warranty if the problem cannot be fixed/located by the time it ends.

Again, thanks for all you input! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login