Go Bottom

Watch out for the filter

View my Photos
scottb80
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-01          128715

I'm a new member and have a brand new TZ25DA with only three hours on it. I wanted to take a moment to warn all of you TZ owners to watch out for the hydrostatic oil filter, it can be damaged easily. I was cutting tall grass in an area of a corral not previously cut by this tractor, using the 918L Flail cutter, clipping along pretty good, when I felt a strong bump. I continued on another 50 feet or so and noticed I had no hydraulic pressure. Stopped the TZ and looked underneath, only to see hydraulic/transmission fluid coming out from around the filter. Evidently, a large rock, shaped and positioned perfectly to hit the filter, smacked the filter and bent it enough to break the seal.

I immediately called the dealer and they said they had the filter in stock, but when I got there, an hour drive, I found that the newer models use a different size, which they don't have. Now I'm down for two days, waiting for a filter to come in.

Be warned, the filter on the TZ models is the lowest point on the ground clearance and REALLY needs to have a guard of sort installed in front of it, IMHO.

So, $40.00 for more fluid and $8.00 for a new filter, is an expensive lesson in checking an area that hasn't been done before, by walking it first.

Scott B)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Watch out for the filter

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-02          128724

Welcome to Tractorpoint! Your machine isn't the first to have low hanging filters. I installed skid plates on my JD4310 for the same reason. It's a good idea to walk the area you'll be cutting, esp. the first time, looking for things that can cause damage or rollovers (ditches, pits, etc). ....

Watch out for the filter

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-02          128725

My NH TC33D had the same thing happen, only I was brushcutting and a sapling that was not cut down all the way popped back up and tried to spear it---that loosened it and oil misted everywhere. ....

Watch out for the filter

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-02          128726

Scott,

Your experience reminds me of first use on a Case tractor a few years ago.
First bush hogged my pines, one oil filter and refill. Good it blew oil where I could see it to shut down engine quickly.
Second bush hogging job there bent left step. Straighten and back to work, there did go right step.
Thrid bush hogging job there went hole in left rear tire.

By then I believed the hardest work you can do to a tractor is with a bush hog. As Ken said walk the property if you can not see safely. Watch for holes also. I think we think our tractors are built like logging machines, they are not.

Also welcome.
kt ....

Watch out for the filter

View my Photos
kyvette

2006-05-09          129160

Scott,
I use a belly mower on my TZ24 which protects the filter. However, I also use a box blade and try to be careful of the filter when the belly mower is off. It would be a good idea to purchase a spare filter and keep on hand. Dave ....

Watch out for the filter

View my Photos
wr5evk8jj
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-09          129163

Even taking the MMM off, or putting it on, one has to be careful. The MMM's rear lifting "lugs" protrude up a bit. If not careful, they can hit the filter when moving the MMM in or out from underneath the tractor. The first time the MMM was removed, I just barely dented the filter -- that was enough for me.

Welcome.
JJ ....

Watch out for the filter

View my Photos
bloggins

2006-05-09          129175

Me too (CASE DX25E), nicked the oil filter while removing the MMM, but didnt pierce it. I'm going to buy a few filters to keep on hand. I have a new field to mow and I did a dry run (no cutting, deck up) around the field to see if there were any obstacles. "Time spent on a recce is seldom wasted". ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login