Go Bottom

TC30DdA-Reduction gear fluid dip stick location-doesn t match manual

View my Photos
Muensterman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-01          139465

I have a TC30DA and have come into some weirdness. Once the temp gets 35 or below, my front end squels so loud, I don't even want to take the trash out to the road. It does it at around 5mph, and the rpms don't effect it. I can have it at pto use speed and it only starts to squel at a certain speed. So... I was checking fluids in the front diff thinking maybe it was low (which it was). Went to check the reduction gear and low and behold, there was no dip stick nut! And the diagram in the manual does not match my tractor. The manuall shows different things on a few levels. One-there is no dipstick nut on the housing but the manual shows there is. Two-near the bottom of the assembly where the drain bolt is, the diagram shows bolts, mine has a smoot rounded bottom. Three-the diagram in the manuall shows only one steering arm going to the reduction gear housing/wheel hub, I have two arms. I assume that is a part of the supersteer.
I am thinking that becuase of the supersteer that maybe the front diff and the reduction gears share the same lube. Am I wrong? I cannot see any access to the redcution gear housing to add or check the fluid level, although they do have thier own drain bolts. I AM CONFUSED...and lame. Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Ever heard of the fron end screeching at near freezing temps????
Cheers!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-01          139466

Question: Is the title of the post correct of TCDdA? (Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from LOL jis' kiddin')

Anywho...

I've got a TC33D. I know when the weather is cold the hydraulic system makes a screaming sound until it warms up. The screaming front end sound may not be coming from the gear reduction (aka steering knuckles). And yes the second tierod (arm) is part of SuperSteer.

I didn't quite understand your description of the dip stick but if you were talking about the front axle the filler plug on mine is a bright yellow, plastic threaded finger-tighten plug on top of the axle (on the right side I think). (I've been told you and I have slightly different front axles--yours is slightly stronger)

If it's a dry bearing sound, and I had to guess, I would say the sound may be coming from the front drive shaft where it goes through the Selectrac clutch assembly and/or the front drive shaft where it goes into the axle pinion. Might even be a dry u-joint in that area.

If I were you, jack it up off all four wheels. Let it set over night. Start it up and let it run all four wheels at the same ground speed you experienced noise. Turn the wheels side to side and see if that does anything. If you don't have a mechanic's stethescope, a length of garden hose with one end held to your ear and the other on the suspect part will do.

All four wheels may not spin at the same time; if they don't, place the 4x4 selector in "lock".

Keep us updated, and we'll see what we can do. ....

View my Photos
Muensterman

2007-02-02          139478

True, True, I actually have a TC33DA, not a TC30DA. Couldn't read the rest of your reply. I am not a premium member. So you think it is the reduction gear housing. Where is the dipstick for that? Or where I can check the fluid level? Is the gear reduction and the differential fluids shared, as I cannot find the dipstick/filler nut at the reduction gear hub.
Cheers!!! ....

View my Photos
Muensterman

2007-02-02          139479

Actually I could read the rest of the last post....ooops.
I have the bright yellow dip stick, but the manual shows I should have a nut for a dipstick/lube fill spot located on the housing of the reduction gears, alittle the left of the screw/bolts for the maximum steering adjustment, it is smooth metal there, no nut at all! thanks for your responce! I am taking the trash out now, will let you know how it goes. Why do you think it only does that once the temp outside gets cold? Oh yeah, and even the tractor is completed warmed up, it still screeches at low outside temps, even while the tractor is under a load!
this is a gerat website, tahnks again!
Cheers!!! ....

View my Photos
Muensterman

2007-02-02          139480

please forgive my terrible spelling on that last post.....in a hurry!
Cheers!!!

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-02          139482

Don't worry so much about the spelling, lots of us have fingers that are faster than our eyes or brain. ;)

If you are getting a loud squeal at low speeds and only in cold weather, it's most likely not a bearing noise. It takes either tremdous load, or a VERY bad bearing to make it make a loud noise, especially the big bearings in the front axle.

Bear in mind also, just because the engine is up to running temperature, it doesn't mean the hyd. fluid isn't still very cold.

I'd be willing to bet the squeal you're hearing is the relief valve in the hyd. system, it's opening because the thickness of the fluid caused by the low temps is causing too much pressure.

You can buy a magnetic style heater at any good auto parts place, they come in a veriety of heat outputs, from about 75 watts up to about 300 watts. Get a 150 or 200 watt one and stick it one the bottom of the transmission case for a few hours and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2007-02-04          139546

On the new tractor the eliminated the level check/ filler plug. It is one common sump for the entire axle lug nut to lug nut. Why they have not changed the book yet (going on 3 years now) is beyond me. Try greasing the drive shaft. Make sure you get every fitting. The culprit is usually where the shaft goes through the plastic or rubber boot/ dust cover. ....

View my Photos
agriman

2007-02-05          139552

Grease the dive shaft. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login