Go Bottom

Need some advice

View my Photos
TBOE01
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-11          146833

I'm looking to purchase a tractor soon to clear 7 acres of brush to run a small horse farm. I need some help from all of the experts on what tractor to buy.(please) The four tractors I've been interested in are the TC-40DA NH, a comparable Kubota, John Deere, Mahindra. I know nothing about tractors or even where to start if there's better than these please let me know. Thanks in advance for everyones help!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Need some advice

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-11          146834

If you hire out the initial clearing to a guy with a bull dozer you will lengthen the life of your new machine and perhaps be able to use a smaller machine for the long term then you would need for just the one time start up type tasks.

Dennis ....

Need some advice

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-11          146835

TBOE01,

Thank you for joining. Welcome to the group.

You'll find a whole lot of information on this discussion board. As you read through the comments made in the various topics, you'll begin to get a better grasp of the terminology used when discussing tractor, their features, and the implements we use.

A tractor is really nothing more than a self-propelled power plant. The tractor is capable of doing almost nothing, without the necessary implements that attach to it.

The implements do all the work. The tractor simply provides the muscle. The bigger the implements, the more tractor you'll need to power them.

No matter which implements you pick out, I can tell you that you should never go without a loader. The loader will see more use than any other implement you'll ever own. And when operating a loader, there are a few things that you should keep in mind.

When you have a heavy load in the bucket, it will take a lot of weight off of the rear wheels, and place a lot of additional weight on the front wheels of the tractor. Your tractor will become harder to steer, as well as having a whole lot less traction, making it more difficult to move the load around. Therefore, when selecting a tractor for loader use, most everyone here will recommend getting a four-wheel drive tractor. When looking at the various tractors, you'll want one with "MFD" (Mechanical Four-Wheel Drive)

4-wheel drive (MFD) tractors cost more than 2-wheel drive models, but they more than make up for the extra cost in the performance they provide. They also offer a much better resale value. No matter what, you can't go wrong with a 4-wheel drive tractor. It's the only way to go. Don't even consider a 2-wheel drive model.

The bigger the tractor, the more power and weight you'll have for which to power the implements you attach to it. Bigger mowers require bigger engines to power them. Bigger plows require heavier tractors and more powerful engines. You get the idea.

I'd like to hear more from you about the projects you have in mind for your tractor. Do you plan on mowing with it? How about tilling? Do you have a lot of work planned that will require a loader? How about the soil conditions?.....mud, dry, clay, rocks, etc. Is your brush more like small trees, or more like tall grass and heavy weeds?

All of these things will help determine the tractor and accessories you'll need to overcome the problems.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Joel ....

Need some advice

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-11          146836

TBOE01,

My son brought up a good point. He read the comments I left for you, then turned and asked me a few questions.

"Dad...In other words, don't pick the tractor first......pick the implements you need before picking out a tractor?" CORRECT!

There will always be trade-offs to consider, however. Bigger tractors work well for many things, but when mowing around trees, a smaller tractor is much preferred. When cleaning out horse stalls and cattle barns, a smaller tractor is much more nimble on its feet.

Storage is another problem. Bigger tractors require a bigger storage shed, as well as higher clearances to make it through the doors.

Some of these factors can't be changed, and all of them should figure into the purchasing equation.

It's best to make a list, with a smaller tractor on one side, and a larger tractor on the other. The tractor that ends up having the greatest benefit to you should be placed at the top of the list. After determining the proper power and size requirements of your tractor, we can then go about picking out a make and model.

Joel ....

Need some advice

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-10-11          146839

I'm with Dennis on this. Hire out to get the tough work done by someone with the proper equipment, then base your tractor purchase on your long-term plans/goals. The larger the tractor the more you'll spend, more fuel you'll burn, more storage room taken up and lack of manoueverability in tight quarters. ....

Need some advice

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-10-12          146842

I'm with Dennis on this one too. There are just too many unknowns as to what you may run into clearing this land, like hidden stumps, big rocks, possibly a wet soil situation that only an experienced crawler operator can safely handle. After the clearing is done and you can assess what you have then you can more closely judge the needs you have far as tractor size and the equipment you want it to handle. I'll launch briefly into my old sermon on brands and dealers. Stick with the majors, Blue, Orange, Green. I don't know enough about Mahindra to make a call on them yet. All three of the majors will always have parts and service where and when you need them. Stay with a local dealer, going to another state to save a bundle will eventually catch up to you when you need service. All three brands build good equipment, so deciding on a dealer is just as important as the brand. Look for a dealer who has been in business a long time, ask queations, ask for references, if they are reputable they will gladly comply. The best dealer isn't always the cheapest. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

Need some advice

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-12          146843

Yup, I'd get a dozer in there--nothing too big though (comparable to a D3 or 4 Caterpillar or Deere 460) WITH a blade mounted root rake. The root rake will be able to separate the majority of the roots that get sheared off when dozing, and put them it a pile to burn. Then hire out (or do it yourself) disking or disk harrowing. Be sure the guy hgas trash cutters or disks with scallops wich tend to chop even more roots. Then make or buy a drag made of heavy 4x4 angle about 8' wide in the shape of a tick-tack-toe board. Depending on where you attach the chains (on the ends on of one angle versus only one end of one angle) you will be able to grade or level more or less agressively the dirt clumps.

But to answer your question I think anything 33hp and up would be fine so long as the brute work is done first by someone else. But spring the extra $ for a hydro though. ....

Need some advice

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-10-12          146844

EW; It must be the right sign of the moon or something, we are agreeing on far too many things lately. Can't you come up with something we totally disagre on? Like the color of your new Lincoln, your hair style, (assuming you have hair), anything just to spark up our conversations. Frank. ....

Need some advice

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-10-12          146846

I may disagree with the crowd on this. The OP said he had 7 acres of BRUSH in TEXAS. Now I don't know all that much about Texas but my guess is it's dry, desert like country with scrub. If he hired it out he might save wear and tear on a new tractor but he wouldn't be having any fun in the process.

I do agree, and have said before, that picking the implements first and then matching a tractor to the implements is the right way to go.

Now what sort of land and brush are we dealing with here? ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login