Go Bottom

New Holland 2120 air removal in diesel line

View my Photos
murray13
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-13          150195

I have a 2120 New Holland and allowed air to get in the fuel system when I cleaned the settling bowl. What are the steps to purge the system. Is there a mechanical pump to use or do you just have to run the starter?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-13          150197

I don't know the 2120 specifically, but it's been the same on every diesel tractor I've owned. There should be a little hand primer on the fuel pump and a pressure relief port of some type on the injection pump.

Open the pressure relief and prime with the hand pump until fuel comes out. Close the pressure relief. If you can't find the port, loosen the flexible fuel line where it enters the injection pump - prime - close. If you can't do that, loosen the fuel filter - prime - tighten.

Then loosen the fuel lines at the #1 injector. Put the tractor in neutral and advance the throttle about half way. Crank the starter until you see fuel coming out, tighten the fuel line. Repeat this process on the other injector lines, one at a time. The engine may start before you finish. It will run rough for a short time, then smooth out.

Check behind yourself to make sure all fittings are properly tightened.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-14          150200

You really should buy a manual for it.

Meanwhile, generally, if no hand pump, fill the fuel tank to maximise the pressure. If it won't start after bleeding at the bowl, there are likely one or two further bleed points toward the engine that may require a bit more work. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-14          150206

For the most part, most times if I fill my fuel bowls when cleaning or changing them I do not have to bleed the system. I do try to run the engine a little first so it is not cranking cold but very seldom has this not worked fine for me. kt ....

View my Photos
murray13
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-14          150207

Thanks to all. I couldn't find a mechanical pump or bleed screws, but loosing the fuel line at the pump and more than I would think running to get the air out, then the lines at the injectors to get fuel worked.

Thanks again,

Truman ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login