Go Bottom

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
RichieC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-03-30          152602

Model TZ18...not listed on NH Parts

It appears another bolt went awol from my tractor. Inspite of tightening bolts & inspecting my tractor this one got away. Would anyone know the size of the bolt that escaped from the RIGHT REAR transmission housing? [top housing where the hydraulic filler opening is located]. My manual isn't any help. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-31          152607

If nobody answers, I'm sure you're aware of these options.

-Remove a mate bolt and take it to a supplier.

-Get some kids plasticine at a dollar store, shove a wad in the hole opeing, and take the shaped wad to a supplier.

-Mike the hole for a diameter reading, and use a thread gauge or an assortment of that diameter bolts for the threads.

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-03-31          152608

As another work around....Take a picture of the area you are talking about and either take the pix to a dealer with your make and model info, or email that to an online dealer.

I have done what was recommended above as well, take a brother bolt out if you have one, I took it to a Sears hardware to find a match, checking with a nut that the threads matched the sample bolt.

You also might try some locktite on the threads on the replacement. ....

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-03-31          152609

Be sure to measure the depth of the bolt hole with a piece of stiff wire and make sure the new bolt won't bottom out. ....

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
RichieC

2008-03-31          152612

Thanks for some good suggestions. One problem is the location of this missing bolt. Jammed beneath the fuel tank with very litle clearance. To remove mating bolt would be difficult & I have the backhoe to contend with as well. Going to place a call to NH Tech.

TY again fellas ....

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-03-31          152622

Richie don't be surprised if you get nowhere with New Holland "techs" if you are referring to the phone call-in system. They are a contracted service to New Holland and are basically call screeners (read: numbnuts). AND, if your machine is still under warranty (and even out of warrnty), every time you call it is logged against your machine serial number. So if you have any warranty issues that the dealer or anyone else from NH could pin on you for working on your equipment that could be tied back to that broken bolt--you could be--pardon the pun--screwed.

For exmaple, with Chrysler, I had a rusting front and rear bumpers that were/are rusting. The dealer and the Regional Rep denied a warranty claim for rust because I had drilled two 1/4" holes for a snowplow electrical adapter, and a pea-size ding on the other bumper---they said that I "altered" the bumpers and therefore denied me new bumpers. ....

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-31          152623

Richie, not always true but most of the time the ratio between the bolt diameter and the size of the bolt head is kept. So if you can get a wrench onto another bolt to be sure of the head size you probably will find that size head gives you the diameter of bolt you need. Be sure to do check the depth as has been said. If not sure if fine or coarse theards then but one of each. Have you asked at local NH dealership parts counter? They probably know off the top of their head. If not local they may be willing to tell you if you explain how far away you are. At same time be sure you buy the correct grade of bolt. Doubt it is a common grade. kt ....

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-03-31          152628

Loctite needs clean and dry, so good quality lockwasher. Or, after installing the bolt, clean and dry the area, and put epoxy putty on the surface and coming over the bolt head just enough to hold it from turning but not enough to keep a socket or wrench off it. ....

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
Murf

2008-03-31          152630

Jeff, sounds like you bought the wrong brand of truck.

I backed into a snowbank making a 3pt turn and tweaked the bumper on a hunk of ice. I mentioned it to the dealer when it was in for service. He said if I hit something it was my fault. I explained it was a snowbank I touched, at 'barely moving' speed, then asked him, "It's still called a 'bumper' right? Isn't that what they're there for?".

It only took them about 20 minutes to swap the bumper for a new one.

Best of luck. ....

Bolt Size Question

View my Photos
RichieC

2008-03-31          152631

This episode was almost comical...called NH Corp...as Earthwrk noted is what occurred. About as technical as a dozen eggs. I did end up calling the Ag Dealer where I purchased the tractor. He couldn't get the size via parts listing since NH neglected to include the housing cover & bolt sizes in their specs. But, you know what Ray at Eklund Farm Equipment did? He actually went outside & removed the same bolt from a tractor to size it for me. That is one decent fella!
M10x25 for anyone who runs across the same problem. I am a annoyed at the loosening of bolts that are on factory installed components. I could almost understand it happening on after market add ons. Anyway, thanks again fellas for your input. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login