Go Bottom

914A rear vs side discharge

View my Photos
wolftownjeff
Posts: 27 Madison Co. VA near the Sheandoah National Park.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-06          153506

which one sells the most?
what is the thinking between the 2?
why does rear discharge cost more?
can TC33DA handle it ok?

thank you,

jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-07          153510

Not familiar with the 914, but having both on different tractors, I prefer the side. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-07          153520

Auerbach, mind me asking why you prefer the side discharge? Never have used a rear discharge but often wish mine was due to chute sticking out. kt ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-05-07          153534

Sure.

1. If I ever want a clipping bagger, there's all sorts of after-market ones for side discharge, none for rear.

2. With a rear, the chaff coats the rear parts of the tractor, not to mention my shoes.

3. With a side, you can use the discharge sort of like a leaf blower. That is, with the right planning and steering you can end up with most of the clippings in whatever spot you want.

4. If I want to mulch the clippings, I mow them. With a rear, I have to retrace my path, taking twice as long. With a side, when I go over the previous laydown, I'm cutting new grass at the same time.

Negative aspects.

a) On many side-discharges, the outflow chute adds to the width of the rig.

b) If the grass is prone to plugging (eg long and damp), a side chute is more likely to jam than the whole rear of the mower. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-05-08          153546

Number 2 surprises me but would think all others are correct. Thank you, kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-05-08          153547

Some of those reasons I'm not sure about.

1) NH offers a collection system for the rear discharge 914A deck, in fact I understand the collection system also allows you to choose between rear & side discharge or collection,

2) I don't know about this, it doesn't on ours,

3) Agreed,

4) With mulching blades you get the same effect on the first pass, no subsequent passes required.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
treeman

2008-06-14          154621

I have a TC33D with the 72" side discharge deck. It would windrow with the chute installed but blows the clippings out nice with the chute removed. ....

View my Photos
Justus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-17          154663

I've had the TC 33D with the 914 rear discharge for 6 years now and I'm happy with it. I've never regretted not getting the side discharge. One thing nice that hasn't been mentioned for the rear discharge is there is a lot less chance of an object (Stone) getting thrown from under the mower and hitting someone or something and causing injury. Steve ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login