Go Bottom

N H 1925 1200 hrs

View my Photos
tollmandot
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-07          157090

Ok looks like I am going to be needing Major help ,I have a 98' NH 1925 , was doing a basic pm , changed hydraulic fluid and filter , left old filter drain upside down in drain tray , as I was filling and bleeding system , after all running and seemingly operating as should (normally have No problems) I began clean up , removed filter from drain pan ,,, There it was ,12 to 20 , shreds of metal ,,,,smaller than a childs bb gun chips , these appear not as crumbled pieces , but more like broken teeth or hard rectangular , triangular , anything but round ....... AnY Body have any ideas where it would be coming from I do most all of my own wrench work , cars , boats , gearboxes , and most anything else , Hydrostatic is a bit new to me...... Is a pump on its way out ,would it pass metal shards all the way to the filter , , Is there a Hydro pump sump pickup , wouldnt it have a screen on it to preventing the metal chips from passing thru the hydraulic pump from the sump ? would these chips come from the output of the pump , then to the filter , before the rest of the system ????? Well Best regards all ,I am usually just a reader here , now its my turn hope and find someone that has run into this before ... Leo ........ps this is essentially an early tc 29/30 .

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

N H 1925 1200 hrs

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-08          157095

According to the service manual the filter is a suction type. No mention of a screen on the pick up.

If overall performance hasn't been reduced or degraded I wouldn't worry about it. The shards IMHO may have come from the gear transmission or PTO parts (grinding the gears from someone that borrowed the machine for example).

Are they iron? Try a magnet.

It's even possible what you found was left behind from the manufacturing process from either the tractor or even the filter itself.

Hydrostats are relatively uncomplicated principlewise. Partswise not so much.

If you found brass-colored particals, chips, scrapings or filings then you'd have cause for concern. That to me means the slippers and asscociated parts inside the hydro pump and/or motor could be on its way out.

I'm not sure if the charge pump inside the hydro pump is made of steel that would be revealed by a magnet. A buddy of mine used to make them and I thought he said they were either diecast or forged then machined. This is called a gerotor--looks like a star wheel or a well worn gear. It has fairly large, round-capped teeth on it though. Perhaps a 1/4" thick (guesstimate) ....

N H 1925 1200 hrs

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-08          157103

Tollmandot,

The most important thing is that you got those pieces of metal out of the lubricating system.

Metal wear is common in all types of machinery. It's not uncommon to find such things in the engine and hydraulic oils when doing routine maintenance.

It's good that you took the time to change the oils and perform the scheduled maintenance. Too many people avoid doing these things due to cost, or just plain laziness, without any understanding of the possible catastrophic failures that may result.

Those little metal shavings are no longer running through your pumps, gears, or bearings. This should provide with a sense of relief, rather than worries.

Joel ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login