Go Bottom

TC29D Electrical Gremlins Advise Please

View my Photos
reddawg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-12-01          158271

Hey there... just bought a used '03 TC29D and it's got a few electrical problems. Seems that everything works except the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge. All the dash lights work, and I just replaced all of the fuses, so I don't think its fuse related. Another problem I found is that the 10 amp fuse for the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid/Operator Seat Switch/Range Neutral Safety Start Switch (fuse block position # 5)keeps blowing on startup. Had to use a 20 amp to make it work. Finally, on occasion the Cold Start Indicator Light stays lit even after start up. When it finally goes out, there is a slightly noticeable increase in engine RPM. I've read a bit on this forum to know that these NH units have electrical gremlins, so I'm hoping maybe somebody has had a similar experience and can offer some advice. Wondering if part of the problem is ignition switch related? Can hear an occasional clicking sound (like a relay) switching on and off near the ignition. Look forward to your comments. Thanks for reading.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-12-02          158274

RED; I don't have a NH, but the fuel and temp gauge problems are usuall faulty ground related on any brand, the rest I'm in the dark on. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-02          158283

Welcome to the Gremlin Club. My TC33D has the same issues and more. They're like the AMC of the tractor world.
I read some other posts here about other makes and I'm thinking it's a bad ground. Not sure. I did the same thing with fuse blowing. Replaced the ignition switch 4 times, the battery twice. The control modules are outrageously priced. I left mine on a job and got a call from the client that my flashers were going crazy all on their own. I don't know aht to tell you other than take it to a dealer who is experienced with that issue--ask them first since no one wants to PAY for a technician to learn on your dime. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-02          158297

NH does not make these tractors correct? Wonder why this same question does not keep coming up on the brand that is making these tractors? Would seem something about a part spec for NH or a difference in the plant where NH is being built must be the problem. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-12-02          158298

I did find a website years ago from the Georgia plant that advertised they "made" these there. I called them on it to which they admitted that, "well we assemble them here". They didn't say who actually made them. My expereince in the auto industry leads me to think the drive trains are likely made by Shibuara with New Holland's design tweaking to make a little different form Shibaura's lines. Then possibly additional electrical tweaking is done here along with the plastic body panels, etc.

Almost every manufacturer of construction and even ag equipment rebadges another's model.

Around here dyed-in-the-wool GMC truck guys were the butt of jokes when it came to them believing their trucks were better than Chevys---they both came off the same production line with the same parts! ....

View my Photos
reddawg

2008-12-03          158316

Thanks for the replys. Looks like the first thing to do is trace all the gounds and clean 'em up.

It is interesting how machines are re-branded. Seems to absolve the manufacturer from fault in certain instances. "It's not our problem... we don't do the electrical part of the job."

One guy I talked to said he thinks that compact tractors just don't get the same attention to detail as their big brothers in the industry. Specifically, that they don't take the same care in making connections and fuses and such really water resistant like the big guys do. He also said to check the safety switches... I guess they can get a bit of moisture in them and cause a bit more resistance and wammo, there goes your fuse.

I'm gonna talk to my friends at the NH dealer and see if I can bend the techs ear. ....

View my Photos
reddawg

2008-12-13          158556

Well, I replaced the relays, and now the glow plugs seem to work the way they're supposed to. I've cleaned up all the ground connections, but still no temp or fuel gauge. Even took apart and cleaned all the connections and traced the wires, so I'm starting to think it might actually be the sending units. Still gonna' talk to the NH tech at the dealer and see what he says. (Betchya a nickel he tells me to buy new sending units! HA!) Will keep you posted. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-12-13          158559

I don't mean to minimize a problem you should not have, but to suggest that if you can't get a fix, forget it. In the old days lots of tractors had neither fuel nor temp gauges. You'd top up the tank after a bout of work, and not worry about overheating as long as you didn't see steam. ....

View my Photos
reddawg

2008-12-14          158561

Auerbach, I'm with ya on that one. If a couple of gauges are the only problems (which seems to be the case), then just let it ride. Everything else seems to be working pretty good. But, since it's not an old machine (only five years old with about 1000 hours) I'd like to think things ought to work correctly. If those sending units turn out to be hella expensive, then I might just run it the way it is. :) ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login