Go Bottom

my tc45d won start

View my Photos
bmleblanc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-17          159567

yesterday I was going to use my tractor,started to turn the engine over(it was about -15 out side). It did'nt start so I turned the key off and then back on to let the glow plug cycle again and nothing. It's in neutral,it should start.The battery is good.The pto light is on but it is not engaged.There is no noise from the starter.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

my tc45d won start

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-18          159572

Bmleblanc,

The fact that the PTO light is on is a dead ringer in this case.

Even though you have your tractor in neutral, and the PTO lever is in the disengaged position -- the PTO safety switch (light on condition) is preventing you from engaging the starter.

Somewhere below the PTO lever, you'll find a little switch with a button on it. That switch is engaged, even though the PTO linkage isn't touching it. Could be ice, snow, a twig....or even just a faulty switch causing the problem.

Make sure the PTO switch isn't being interfered with by some foreign matter. Check to see if you can move the switch plunger by hand. Work it up and down a few times and then see if the PTO light doesn't go out. If the light goes out, you're in business. If not, it might be time to replace the switch.

Joel

my tc45d won start

View my Photos
bmleblanc

2009-01-18          159575

Joel, I checked all that right away,I think it might be time for a new one. It just worrys me that it started to turn over and then nothing. I hope that is just that switch.Thanks, Brad ....

my tc45d won start

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-18          159576

Brad,

If your "PTO engaged" light is lit, the safety over-ride is on.

There are at least three such switches (possibly more) in your ignition safety circuit, all or any of which will prevent you from starting the tractor.

You likely have a safety switch under the clutch pedal, the PTO lever, transmission neutral, and possibly under the seat (operator present).

Since your PTO light is lit up on the dash, that's where I'd start. It should be a fairly easy fix.

Joel ....

my tc45d won start

View my Photos
Justus

2009-01-19          159588

Owning a TC33D and having had a similar problem the likely culprit is probably in your fuse panel. I believe it's the second fuse from the top; at least it was on mine if I remember correctly. There are numerous discussions about this problem on this board; you can look them up. The only sure fix seems to be a circuit breaker (Which I bought from NAPA, see link below). Check your fuse to see if it's blown. If it is, just go out and buy a circuit breaker unless you want to stock up on a LOT of fuses and spend the time replacing them. Good luck, Steve. ....

Link:   

Click Here

my tc45d won start

View my Photos
bmleblanc

2009-01-19          159618

Steve, thanks for the help. I,m going to try what you say this weekend. Thanks again. Brad ....

my tc45d won start

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2009-01-22          159751

My TC45 would not start much like you say. I don't remember the PTO light, but the problem turned out to be a fuse in the safety circuit.

In my case the battery was old and it blew a second time a while later. (My theory was that the low battery voltage caused the solenoids to drop out and draw higher than normal current.) I replaced the battery with an Optima Yellow and the fuses and starting have been fine since. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login