Go Bottom

Got Some Questions For You Veteran Tractor Owners

View my Photos
thehaunter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-03-01          168904

I'm Pete by the way, registered on here when I bought my New Holland TC40D. I joined this place because this forum isn't compromised by "my gun is bigger than yours" types of people. Right off the bat, I like all your tractors, I could care less what brand it is. In my case I looked at JD, K, NH, I liked them all. The deciding factor was price.

I got a mint condition, garage kept unit, 270 hours, Bush Hog loader, Woods finisher, Hydro. Not a speck of dirt on it.

Here's where I'm embarrassed LOL, I haven't driven a tractor since I was 18. I'm now 39 :)

We had a really nice Ford 1500 on our farm, I loved it. We kept it in perfect condition. Sadly, back then, our farm got into a legal dispute and as of last year, we don't have it anymore.

I decided to start new memories.

I'm used to driving a tractor with two shifters. I got a little demonstration regarding the hydro and feel somewhat comfortable running the unit but I have NO IDEA how to maintain it. The hydro is something new to me, I've never cared for a loader either.

If you guys would be kind enough to run me through a refresher course, it would be most appreciated, the tractor is coming tomorrow. The person I hired to ship it, sent me a picture from his camera phone.

Thanks in advance, I've enjoyed reading your posts on here, some of you are HYSTERICAL! (in a good way)

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-01          168905

Ohh, please click on the link to see the pic of my new toy. It's not a huge unit like some of you have but I'm quite proud of it. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-02          168908

Welcome Pete

I to had a 1500 for 13 years. Traded for a JD.

Lots of Ford hydro guys here. The only thing I know about hydro is do not treat the pedals like a gas pedal. ie: if tractor starts to bogg down let up on the pedal.

Go to dealer and order the operator manual and read it it will have 90% of what you'll need to know to operate and maintain.

Harvey ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-03-02          168909

A NH hydro is much easier to drive than a gear, and might I say more enjoyable especially for loader work and grass cutting. I suggest reading the manual (which BTW is not helpful but gives the location of the conrols) and just get some seat-time. After about 15 minutes you'll be flying around the yard. If my 3-year-old niece can drive mine sitting on my lap---hopefully you can---errr.... not sit on my lap! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2010-03-02          168914

Welcome Pete.

As Harvey already mentioned, the big one with a hydro is to not lug the engine, it's really tough on the whole system.

It's better to keep the rev's up a little and let the hydro power do it's job.

Past that, the other big caution is SAFETY!!! Especially if you're not familiar with a loader-equipped tractor. As you may recall, the front axle on a tractor pivots to keep all 4 wheels on the ground. That also however means if you pick up a load on uneven ground, or travel across uneven ground with a load too high, or pick up a load that isn't balanced properly, it could tip the machine over. That's not such a good thing. ;)

Remember, the only 'dumb question' is the one you don't ask.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-03-02          168916

As far as lugging the engine, at least with NH hydros, you'll feel the engine lugging by how much effort it takes to press on the pedal; the harder it is to push on the pedal indicates you're in the wrong gear range (numerically too high). Normally it takes light pressure to locomote. And hydros don't need to use service brakes or clutching or down shifting when stopping---that's all controlled nicely by the hydro pedal (under normal conditions). I rarely use brakes; the clutch in an emergency with brakes or when using the PTO.

The SupereSteer takes a few minutes to get used to it. But once you you do it becomes transparent. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-03-02          168919

Haunter, welcome to the crowd.
Ok now if you want some hysterical, me and EW can CALMLY dicuss,(again), why a gear drive will show his hydro how to get work done.
I'd better stop with that said.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-03-02          168920

Welcome to TP:

First off, I'd recommend that you unfold them ROPS. Like Murf said, Safety is #1. Second, when transporting a tractor, I like to strap from the outside of the trailer toward the center of the tractor both front and back further back and forward of the tractor. That way, it is doing a wedge in all positions; (front,back,righ,left).
Doing from outside to outside as you have done would allow your tractor to bounce sideways while loaded (maybe 3 to 6"). Likewise, if somebody T-bones you, the tractor could shift. My preferred method makes a tighter hold-down.

When using your brush hog, your engine rpm should be when it says 540 PTO rpm on the tach.

Get yourself a paint pen (I usually use white). Put your loader (FEL) down and tilt the bucket so it is flush or ever so lightly digging. On the right side is a shaft protuding through a piece of tubing. With the paint pen put a circle around the top of the tube. Let it dry. Now every time you use your loader and want to dig into a pile of something or just skim the dirt, you automatically know where flush or just a slight digging position is!

High range is for traveling from point A to B, light duty mowing, and light pushing of snow. Mid-range is for heavier duty brush hogging, loader use when digging into a pile of dirt/stone. Low range is for pulling stumps, heavy duty ripping of soil, etc.

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-03-02          168928

Pete you are very right there are some great people here who will help any way they can. At same time there is some good ribbing as I learned years ago only happens with friends.

When it comes to hooking and unhooking your mowers keep your hands safe. I don't like to handle the pto when the tractor is running. Be sure you have the shaft locked on before leaving it. Keep the latch clean and the splines with light coat of grease or such on it. Helps a lot. I try to keep a sleeve over the male end when not connected. Be sure to keep the pto shafts greased.

Engine RPMS have been mentioned but when it comes to mowing remember the engine rpms must be there to get the blade speed and the travel speed is transmission job, not the engine.

One other warning on the hydo transmission, assuming you are married...wifes like that size tractor with the hydro transmission. Let your wife use it a time or two even helping you hook or unhook something and you may find yourself looking for a second machine. Not necessary a bad thing. You know, the couple who mows together deal. For rough cut mowing (many call that Bush hogging) I really like the hydo over gear.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-03-02          168929

Moisture in fuel = bad. Fill the tank at the end of each day to minimize condensation and using a good fuel conditioner like Power Service will help disperse what does get in.

Cold weather and diesel fuel = bad. Use a fuel conditioner with anti gel to keep the fuel in a liquid state during cold weather.

Moisture is bad on joints so it's a good idea to grease the zerk fittings at the end of each day rather than the start of a new day to minimize air pockets, esp. if parking outside.

With a new used machine, if you do not *know* the maintenance that has been done it would be wise to change all fluids and filters to get it on a regular schedule. Also, tighten the bolts to spec on arrival and on a regular basis thereafter.

It would also be a good idea to keep the battery on a maintenance charger if you don't use the tractor at least every two weeks. That will prolong its life and let you start it on a cold morning when there's snow to move. ....

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-02          168934

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey | view 168908
Welcome PeteI to had a 1500 for 13 years. Traded for a JD.Lots of Ford hydro guys here. The only thing I know about hydro is do not treat the pedals like a gas pedal. ie: if tractor starts to bogg down let up on the pedal.Go to dealer and order the operator manual and read it it will have 90% of what you'll need to know to operate and maintain.Harvey
Nice to hear that, the 1500 was a great machine, entirely gear driven, two levers, you always knew where the machine was headed. I did learn some stuff about the pedals, very strange at first for me, had some initial issues, will elaborate as I respond to these fantastic posts I got. I was THRILLED so see so much help and honestly, some of this I never thought of. I'm excited to discuss this and tell you about how DAY ONE went LOL. Ohh, I made a bad mess out of my property, I'm going to need a lot of grass seed and YES, about two truck loads of gravel. My gravel is now across the street. I guess these tractors are a little more powerful than I thought. Or I'm probably a worse drive than I thought, either one probably fits like a glove haha.

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-02          168935

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 168909
A NH hydro is much easier to drive than a gear, and might I say more enjoyable especially for loader work and grass cutting. I suggest reading the manual (which BTW is not helpful but gives the location of the conrols) and just get some seat-time. After about 15 minutes you'll be flying around the yard. If my 3-year-old niece can drive mine sitting on my lap---hopefully you can---errr.... not sit on my lap!
I'll pass on the lap sitting, unless you have some money in your pocket LOL.

I like the hydro, took some time getting used to. It took me about an hour to learn what worked and what didn't. I do have a habit of complicating things, so much of this was my fault since I went from a gear drive to a hydro. Especially the "haven't driven a tractor for years" kind of haunted me too. I do see why people rant about them, once I got the hang of it, I couldn't imagine doing it the old way. I know that there is no substitute for simplicity because it's a time proven solid way but I also like the "Lincoln" feel the tractor gave me. I'm just hoping that the neighbors weren't watching me because I felt like a moron. More to come, I'll tell you what happened in a bit............BONG!

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-02          168936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 168914
Welcome Pete. As Harvey already mentioned, the big one with a hydro is to not lug the engine, it's really tough on the whole system.It's better to keep the rev's up a little and let the hydro power do it's job.Past that, the other big caution is SAFETY!!! Especially if you're not familiar with a loader-equipped tractor. As you may recall, the front axle on a tractor pivots to keep all 4 wheels on the ground. That also however means if you pick up a load on uneven ground, or travel across uneven ground with a load too high, or pick up a load that isn't balanced properly, it could tip the machine over. That's not such a good thing. ;)Remember, the only 'dumb question' is the one you don't ask.Best of luck.
Ok, this particular post hit home. Yes I have manuals but I'm too stubborn to read them. I got very uncomfortable when I was traveling over some heavy snow, carrying the remainder of my gravel driveway OH NO and probably an inch depth of my yard ANOTHER OH NO. I didn't like the way the tractor "twisted". I know I wasn't in any danger, but that little bit felt nasty. I can imagine being in a worse situation, definitely something to think about and YES, my inexperience with a loader sent a message to me real quick. I have driven skid loaders, but they don't articulate like the tractor does. As for the hydro, I did try to keep the RPM's down to save fuel but heard on at least two occasions that the tractor sounded "uncomfortable if you will". I kind of describe it as "crying". The hydro has a natural whine to it but when it's bogging down, it screams. I did back off, knowing that something wasn't right and adjusted the RPM's. I did hit the manual and found out that not only do I have high and low range but there is a switch that also alters the range, a toggle switch. From there I learned that I have power steering and cruise control. Never seen anything like it, never knew it existed. I guess life away from the farm and what's new and hot takes it's toll. Awesome advice, I thank you for it.

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-02          168937

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 168919
Haunter, welcome to the crowd.Ok now if you want some hysterical, me and EW can CALMLY dicuss,(again), why a gear drive will show his hydro how to get work done.I'd better stop with that said.Frank.
Brother, believe me, I work in public service, I can handle just about any kind of constructive critisism and even being JACKED to no end. I'm all ears and will probably agree with you because it's the tractor I'm used to. If you guys layed out 20 arguments about tractors, trannys, hydros, loaders, engines, I'd probably take everything all of you said into consideration. I'd also tell you that 1/2 of everthing you talked about, I probably didn't understand LOL. Don't get me wrong, once I drive these things, get used to them, I'll seem like a highly trained, skilled master operator but don't ask me to change the fluids, cause I'll sit there chewing my gum 24 hours later looking at the dipstick LOL.............

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-02          168938

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperpete | view 168920
Welcome to TP:First off, I'd recommend that you unfold them ROPS.Like Murf said, Safety is #1.Second, when transporting a tractor, I like to strap from the outside of the trailer toward the center of the tractor both front and back further back and forward of the tractor.That way, it is doing a wedge in all positions; (front,back,righ,left).Doing from outside to outside as you have done would allow your tractor to bounce sideways while loaded (maybe 3 to 6").Likewise, if somebody T-bones you, the tractor could shift.My preferred method makes a tighter hold-down.When using your brush hog, your engine rpm should be when it says 540 PTO rpm on the tach.Get yourself a paint pen (I usually use white).Put your loader (FEL) down and tilt the bucket so it is flush or ever so lightly digging.On the right side is a shaft protuding through a piece of tubing.With the paint pen put a circle around the top of the tube.Let it dry.Now every time you use your loader and want to dig into a pile of something or just skim the dirt, you automatically know where flush or just a slight digging position is!High range is for traveling from point A to B, light duty mowing, and light pushing of snow.Mid-range is for heavier duty brush hogging, loader use when digging into a pile of dirt/stone.Low range is for pulling stumps, heavy duty ripping of soil, etc.
THAT was another great idea. If I would have known that, my yard wouldn't be the way it is now, I'll post more below about that in my final evening post LOL. I did sit there and look at the ROPS. I've never driven ANY equipment, whether it be this unit, a skid loader or the 1500 without ROPS. I felt very miserable on this thing with the ROPS down. I also noticed that a cotter pin is missing, so when I go to put the ROPS up, there will only be one pin keeping it from folding. Going to have to order another one. Only other problem is that my tail lights don't work, every other light works. Don't know how this unit could look brand new and not have working tail lights. I like the advice about ranges. Like I mentioned above, there is a lot of room for range from what I see, high, low and that little switch that even tweaks it some more, not to mention RPM and how much "hydro" your foot gives it.

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-02          168939

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 168928
Pete you are very right there are some great people here who will help any way they can. At same time there is some good ribbing as I learned years ago only happens with friends.When it comes to hooking and unhooking your mowers keep your hands safe. I don't like to handle the pto when the tractor is running. Be sure you have the shaft locked on before leaving it. Keep the latch clean and the splines with light coat of grease or such on it. Helps a lot. I try to keep a sleeve over the male end when not connected. Be sure to keep the pto shafts greased. Engine RPMS have been mentioned but when it comes to mowing remember the engine rpms must be there to get the blade speed and the travel speed is transmission job, not the engine.One other warning on the hydo transmission, assuming you are married...wifes like that size tractor with the hydro transmission. Let your wife use it a time or two even helping you hook or unhook something and you may find yourself looking for a second machine. Not necessary a bad thing. You know, the couple who mows together deal. For rough cut mowing (many call that Bush hogging) I really like the hydo over gear.
YEP, I'm married, been so for 11 years, been with the girl since we were teens, 18 years in all. She's the little cheerleader type. My biggest mistake in life is not telling her that I bought this property AND the tractor. That's a long story, I have my reasons but if I disappear from the forums, it's because she didn't buy the "lawnmower" story. HEY, yeah I could have probably gone with a zero turn or something but I couldn't move firewood, clear heavy snow, lay out NEW GRAVEL (I really need it after today) pull a hay wagon and other things I want to do. Also, call me crazy but every time a car passed, my NH got some attention. Maybe it's my incredibly good looks, maybe it's because they said "another guy that spent his life savings" and maybe it was because I almost knocked my house down.

I do understand the hydro and how it works, but appreciate the RPM information. I always try to keep them down to conserve fuel. I do listen for that "whine" I backed off when I heard the tractor seem uncomfortable and gave it some more engine speed. I also backed it down and crept in those areas where it seemed to have issues.

I enjoyed the hydro, it was completely new and ridiculous to me. In fact, the hydro I got a crash course on was a Cub Cadet/Yanmar, which has a completely different pedal system. This one has two orange pedals, one clearly points forward, and one points reverse. It was getting my foot to do such, while operating the loader, while remembering that I didn't have to use the brake like I had to with the gear units. I also started to use the throttle to kind of give me the "gentle" operation that I knew would best suit the tractor. The tractor seemed "happy" after a while.

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-02          168940

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 168929
Moisture in fuel = bad. Fill the tank at the end of each day to minimize condensation and using a good fuel conditioner like Power Service will help disperse what does get in.Cold weather and diesel fuel = bad. Use a fuel conditioner with anti gel to keep the fuel in a liquid state during cold weather.Moisture is bad on joints so it's a good idea to grease the zerk fittings at the end of each day rather than the start of a new day to minimize air pockets, esp. if parking outside.With a new used machine, if you do not *know* the maintenance that has been done it would be wise to change all fluids and filters to get it on a regular schedule. Also, tighten the bolts to spec on arrival and on a regular basis thereafter.It would also be a good idea to keep the battery on a maintenance charger if you don't use the tractor at least every two weeks. That will prolong its life and let you start it on a cold morning when there's snow to move.
I appreciate this information, I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I did fill it up today when I was finished wallowing over it. I remember greasing up our 1500 when I was a teen and remember the work my Uncle did on it to keep it nearly brand new. I remember it taking a while. I know that the tractor looks like new, not a dent, garage kept and reved without even a burp. They gave me an extra couple of filters and other stuff that I'll have to see what it goes to LOL.

Today, I successfully, moved some of my yard without wanting to. I completely removed all of my gravel drive way. I nearly took out the side of my house because I forgot which pedal I was using. When I had a problem turning on the snow, I reached down, unlatched the skid steering bracket and yeah, it worked, but left a 2 foot hole in my yard hahaaaaaaaa. I learned to treat it with respect, I learned that it sounds sad when I don't have the RPM's adjusted properly and got used to its "noises".

I'm going to have to print all of this stuff and keep it as a quick reference manual, great information here and I knew there would be. You guys are FANTASTIC.

I made a documentary with my cell phone and sat on the thing for a while way after I had it nestled in the garage of the vacant house on the land I got. I just felt really lucky and appreciated the moment. Losing that 104 acre farm and its history was such a lame thing...... this kind of gave me some closure.

I learned that the hydro takes just as much experience to get used to as the loader. Everytime you touch ANYTHING, it changes the outcome of something else. RPM's especially. When I got the hang of it and actually looked like I knew what I was doing, I took advantage of all these controls. I used the RPMs when I had to do something powerful and backed off when I wanted to take things slow, especially when the hydro didn't have to work much. MUCH MORE GOING ON with these things than I thought. I guess that's the same with any machine, until you know how to work it correctly it's kind of stressing. Some of you folks have big properties and use all sorts of stuff.

I think a veteran tractor operator could jump on something like this and operate it like he or she has been doing it forever, but honestly..........it's not something that happens in 5 minutes. It's not a car.

I was thrilled with the NH. I'm sure I would have been just as thrilled with a JD or K or just about anything but liked the setup. Kind of decision of price and personal preference.

Again, I thank you all for the fantastic responses. AWESOME group here. I have to get another cotter pin for those ROPS and I'm going to raise them every time I leave the garage. I don't feel comfortable sitting on something this big and heavy without the ROPS.

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-03-03          168946

Look at the steering column and you'll find the tilt lever in the center by the cowling, and look at the center of the wheel and twist the knob to the left pull or push on the wheel and VOILA telescoping wheel.

But you'd know this if you read the manual.... ahhhhem lol

Modern diesels have to be run at about double the RPM of yore. My engine is the same as yours and the manual says to run it at or near full throttle 2600-2800 RPM; if you don't it says damage to the hydro system will occur. That moaning or crying you hear is strain i.e., damage stacking up. And take note with lower RPM the pedal is much harder to move than with the advisable RPM.

Like I tell my helpers: "don't be doin' dat" ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-03-03          168967

Think you work with EMS so this might come right to you, ear and eye protection. WHen you wind that engine and a mower up you are sitting on a lot of noise. Also the mowers will throw more than you think and further.

As to the tractor verses zero turn mower, have both went with tractor and bought the ztr for trimming and unless both my wife and I are cutting at same time we seldom use the tractor now but for price a CUT tractor and good finishing mower is hard to beat. Really just let your cheer leader help you by moving it once in a while (suggest low range to get use to it) and maybe running mower in wide open area and trying to explain the need will pass right on bye. Or be a man and do the smart thing...get a big bow and place on it and tell her happy what ever occasion it is honey! It never works for me but it might for you. ....

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-04          168973

Oh my, you guys are great.

I do the EMS thing and the badge and gun thing too, don't hold it against me. I'm not the typical.

Ok, the Cheerleader will get her chance if she truly wants it LOL. Don't even know if she can reach the pedals.

Today, I went to a dealer. Absolutely piss poor LOL. I'm not going to mention where I went, have to be somewhat professional.

I was recording videos of WALKER machines, so a buddy of mine could evaluate his purchase without him being there. Man, I'll never do that again. Folks get nervous when you start video taping equipment and talking prices. Maybe they thought I was competition haha.

I ordered a pin for the roll bar. Still have to fix my tail light problem, I have to kind of go onto the road where speeding is common.

The pin will come to my home address.

I can't believe the money people want for those small machines that couldn't move an ounce of dirt. I guess the niche theory proves itself haha.

I did come across ONE PERSON in that facility that recognized my NH TC40D. He even took the time to watch the video and listened to my Ford 1500 story.

Man,if I had a business I'd hire him. The only person in the place that was an expert and a historian.

I looked at some brand new stuff, they wanted 30 for a tractor with half the beef my machine has. Hence, the machines were still solid and nice but holy sheesh, the pricing was horrible........

I have to thank you all for being so wonderful. Tis why I'm here...............the community is fantastic.

I'm leaving the thing in the garage of the vacant house, it can get a break from me LOL, before I destroy anything else.

:) ....

View my Photos
thehaunter

2010-03-04          168974

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 168967
Think you work with EMS so this might come right to you, ear and eye protection. WHen you wind that engine and a mower up you are sitting on a lot of noise. Also the mowers will throw more than you think and further. As to the tractor verses zero turn mower, have both went with tractor and bought the ztr for trimming and unless both my wife and I are cutting at same time we seldom use the tractor now but for price a CUT tractor and good finishing mower is hard to beat. Really just let your cheer leader help you by moving it once in a while (suggest low range to get use to it) and maybe running mower in wide open area and trying to explain the need will pass right on bye. Or be a man and do the smart thing...get a big bow and place on it and tell her happy what ever occasion it is honey!It never works for me but it might for you.
Bows to you sir, I surely hope it does LOL.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login