Go Bottom

broken bolts

View my Photos
dant01
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-11          169930

Have TC33 with super steer, the bolts for bracket that attaches the black support bar for the front axle became loose and I broke 2 of them. My problem 3 out of the 4 hole are stripped. Tried to retap but threads are to far gone. Any ideas what I can do?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

broken bolts

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-11          169931

Helicoil?

broken bolts

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-14          170005

That area us under alot of stress. Check out a product called ez-loc. I use heli coil on some repairs but when they need to be very strong I use these. ....

Link:   Thread repair inserts

broken bolts

View my Photos
yooperpete

2010-04-14          170009

Yes, E-Z loks are easier to use. You can use a standard tap and wide screwdriver to insert. Heli-coils require a special tap and insertion tool. Your local bolt store should have these. They come in inch/inch, metric/metric and metric/inch combinations with normal wall and thin wall construction. Thin wall come in handy if you are close to edges or other holes. Reid Supply in Muskegon has them in their tooling catalog. (ReidSupply.com) or 800.253.0421. They sell both kinds. Don't have a minimum order but get you with a shipping and handling fee. If you give them your UPS account number to direct invoice the shipping, they skip the handling charge.

Get the busted off bolts out with an E-Z out and make sure that you drill the holes perpendicular to the frame and make nice round tap drill holes. ....

broken bolts

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-14          170013

Yoper;
E-Z outs were always a frustrating situation especially when an E-Z out snapped off level with the casting, a Malox Moment at best.
A blacksmith friend suggested using left hand drill bits to take out a broken off bolt. Greatest thing since canned beer, haven't used an E-Z out since. Start with a small bit to center the hole then work up to bigger bits just short of getting into the threads, usually by that time the shell of the bolt will spin right out with the bit. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login