Go Bottom

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
kpmasonry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-12-06          175554

Hi all,
I'm brand new here. I'm looking to purchase my own loader (been using my fathers yanmar for a while). I've read several posts and you guys give excellent advise and I'm hoping to get some of your advice here.

I'm I came across a 2004 tc33da with 1800 hrs on it at a price I can afford. It was a local trade in not in pretty shape. All in all it drives and stops and operates as it should (using the yanmar as a reference). I drove it around the lot and picked up a pile of dirt and killed some time with it to make sure the hour meter worked, and it does. I had a good friend with me who is a heavy equipment mechanic for 30+ years(he has never worked on this type, mainly big stuff) I parked it and noticed hydro fluid coming out of the weep hole 1 case after the oil pan - about 3 drops per 10 seconds. It started right after I moved the bucket of dirt. There were 3 cases altogether until you get the the rear. The hydro fluid was to the line on the dipstick. My friend nor I heard any weird noises from any part of the tractor.

Question is what could the problem be? I'm guessing a seal in that case, which from looking on the net appears to house the hydrostatic trans. If it is just a seal, how much time would it take to break apart and replace. I'm guessing a seal goes bad because of wear on the shaft? If I get a good idea of how much trouble it will be then I could either make him an offer or pass it up. Thank you in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
treeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-06          175564

I think that is about the location where some TC33D's have been braking in half. People say it cracks right behind where the loader mounts. Be sure to really look close at it before you buy. ....

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-12-06          175569

If it leaks only in use (not when shut down and depressurized) I`d put up with it before going in, especially if it would mean splitting the tractor.

The typical hobby farmer puts on around 100 hrs per year. When you see a tractor with three times that usage, you have to think commercial operation. ....

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-12-06          175572

I've got not quite 900 abusive commercial hours on an '02 TC33D---same machine, different hood/headlites.

Only a NH mechanic can tell you how long to do it. I'd ask one.

The NH uses a one-piece hydro pump-and-motor which drives through a 3-speed-range gear trans then to reducing gears at the axle pinion.

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
kpmasonry

2010-12-07          175590

The unit as being sold by a NH dealer and only leaked after a few minutes...it stopped when i shut the tractor off. The salesman said he would have a mechanic look into it and get back to me. This same unit goes for well over $10k, I'm trying to decide if if would be a good idea (if there is no big issue with the leak) to buy it knowing I'll need to put a little money into it - the hours are really holding me up. ....

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-07          175591

Kpmasonry,

You've been offered a good price on the machine, only because it has been used a whole lot more than most machines of that age.

The typical homeowner puts about 100 hours per year on his compact tractor. At that rate, the tractor you're looking at already has about 18 years of use on it. You're looking at a tractor that has been used very hard, and one that has about 1/3 of expected life already squeezed out of it.

I understand the desire to find a tractor at a good price. We've all been through that. In the end, however, you'll find that your biggest bargain is going to be having a tractor that will give you many years of dependable service without fear of running into a shortage of parts (shy away from the grey market tractors), or needing major overhauls.

If you're looking for a tractor in the 33 horsepower range, you'll find that there are thousands of barely used ones for sale. And I think that's where the bigger bargain will be found.

Joel ....

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-07          175592

KP;
You mentioned the tractor wasn't "pretty". A tractor with 1800 hrs. can be expected to have a few scratches or minor dents, but really beat up probably signals poor maintenece by the prior owner or use by hired help who could care less.
The leak underneath is probably minor and happens to all of them with that many hours, just a anormal wear pattern, who knows. I'll agree with skipping unless it is really cheap and you don't mind getting greasy fixing it yourself. Anyone with the right tools and patience to read and understand shop manuals can fix most anything themself. Shop rate labor at any brand dealership is a killer so taking it in for them to fix later may be a shocker.
Frank.

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
kpmasonry

2010-12-07          175593

Thank you all VERY much for your expertise. I got an email from the dealer stating they are unsure of where the leak is and they are pretty much not going to take it apart, which I had already expected an "as is" sale. I don't mind the fixing, I have a few friends who are experienced heavy equipment mechanics if I really need them - they just don't know much about these exact units.

They are asking $7500 before this leak issue....at the end of his email he stated we can talk about the price. I've researched the best I could on replacement parts to see how much stuff cost....and with it being fairly new I'm thinking parts should not be too hard to find- so now I'm not too sure if I should make an offer or pass it. I'm thinking if I sink a little money into it I should still be good on the value, like fixing up an old camaro?

Kevin

TC33DA Hydro leak

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-12-07          175596

KP;
Being the dealer said they are unsure where the leak is coming from tells me this is not something that is a normal occurance at that many hours. Could be simple as a seal, a cracked oil line, or hair line crack in a major casting. Yes parts would be available, even with your own labor the parts could cost three bucks for a seal or three thousand + for a major casting. You likely could buy it, just ignore the lrak and add maybe a quart of fluid in a year and forget the whole matter and get along fine, who knows. Do as you please, but if my money were on the line in the as is condition you describe 3-4,000.00 wouild be tops.
Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login