Go Bottom

nortrac tractors 20hp or 25hp

View my Photos
shar
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-23          100797

what are your experiences with the nortrac 20 or 25hp tractors? we are thinking about buying one

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-23          100798

Depends upon what you're going to use it for, and whether 2wd or 4wd is more suited to your specific applications and location.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
shar

2004-11-23          100801

4wd; use on 60 acre farm--leveling land, moving logs from trees that have been cut, driveway work, cutting small pasture ....

View my Photos
chipuren

2004-11-23          100849

I wouldn't consider the 20, perhaps the 25 but I would probalby go 30 or even the KAMA 454 wouldn't be too much tractor for you. If you would like some pricing, just send me a PM. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-23          100878

I do much the same on 30 acres. Since I had to get rid of a 24hp Yanmar and two Jinma 254s that just weren't up to the job, I'd suggest no less than 35hp. I personally went with a KM454 like Chip suggested. That one tractor gets more work done than all three previously mentioned - combined. Less downtime too.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-11-23          100886

I think a nortrac 254 is plenty of tractor for my 30+ acres,,use a 5 ft hog with power to spare,and I mow up very steep slopes,,you just got to figure out which gear works for what you're doing,,to high a gear,its like any thing else,,I have never run short of power,most of what I mow is not smooth either,so,don't want to go any faster,,use a 800 lb 5 ft tiller with it too,no problems,plenty of power there as well,use a 6 ft heavy duty blade,,,now as far as fel work,,I don't have one but would say that it would be safe to use as long as you didn't use it like a dozer,as long as you were aware that it is just a small tractor,and were very carefull with clutch,,would not recommend hoe with it,,if you are going to be digging dirt,,you need something bigger maybe 35 or 40 h.p.,,at least,,,as far as down time greg,,I ain't had any in over 300 hrs,,how many hrs you got on that karma now? thingy ....

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-11-25          101037

Greg,,not picking a fight,o.k.,,,but you said less down time,,,now you have only had that kama 6 months or so,,,so what are you basing that on,,,like I said,,my nortrac jinma,has not been down,,in over 2 years and over 300 hrs,,,uh,,huh,,,thingy ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-11-25          101038

I said less downtime than MY previous three tractors combined Richard (two Jinmas and Yanmar). Don't read anything more into it than that.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-11-26          101096

O.K.,Greg,,,but,just helping others understand your situation,[they may have thought that you had a thousand hrs on that kama],,think I remember that one jinma you had all the trouble with,,seems like most of the trouble was related to the "mechanics",fixing the first problem?,,can't remember.Lets see about that kama in about 3-400 hrs,again how many hrs you got on it now,bet its not over 100? thingy ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-11-26          101099

Don't see that it's truly necessary to drag out an explanation of three simple words Richard. But I don't think you're going to spit this bone out of your teeth till I do. The three words were "less downtime too".

My definition of downtime is when the tractor is NOT available to jump on and go to work. Of the time total time that the KAMA has been in my possession, it's been available 99.9% of the time. It sat in the field for two hours one day, while I ran to town to have a flexible fuel line rebuilt. That's it. Only other labor I've put into it is cleaning/torquing/adjusting/fluids/filters.

The Yanmar would sometimes sit a while, waiting for a part to come in the mail. But over the years probably had a good 95% availability. Fortunately the Yanmar was almost always available to stand in for the Jinma, during the hundreds of hours it spent in the dealer's shop. Or when it was laid up in my shed for weeks at a time, waiting for warranty parts originally promised as "overnight delivery". Or when the starter pinion gear wouldn't engage the flywheel on a cold morning. In two years as a Jinma owner, I think rating them (the two I had) at 50% availability would be generous.

Not that everybody's going to run into such lousy dealer support as I. But since you keep pushing for an answer - that's the best I can do.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-11-27          101177

Greg,,seems like you got a lemon jinma,,farm pro??By having your kama sit in field for two hrs while you went and got a fuel line,,you already have more down time than I do on my jinma,mine has never failed to start or stop after starting,,I've done a few little things to it but its never broken down,thats down time to me,,,my jinmas got over 300 hrs,,I bet your kama doesn't have 100 hrs,,,so you see,jinmas don't have more down time than kamas,,maybe your jinma did,,but jinmas as a whole don't,,and specificly mine.Thats the bone I had with your advise/statement to the guy,you said kamas had less down time than jinmas,,number 1,you ain't had your kama long enough to know what kind of tractor it is going to turn out to be,one way or another,,when I first got mine,people would ask me what I thought about it,,I told them I didn't know yet,,after 1 year,still told them I couldn't tell them,,finally this fall,I actually recommended it to a couple of guys,,,,so you might say you had a jinma before,and you had a lot of trouble with it and your mechanic,,just don't say they all are that way,,your starting to sound like a big three owner,,,,,thing ....

View my Photos
JINMA224

2004-12-26          102958

Hello Mr Gauthier,
I read your posts and I am encouraged by your comments about the Jinma tractor.
I'm just a poor country boy myself and buying the American Brand names new were out of the question for me,, so I looked at the foreign brands and opted for the Jinma. I wanted to get the 254 but that would have been another 1K so I got the 224 even though I spent more than I wanted to for a new tractor,, I wanted a 3cylinder, 4wd, PS, canopy, and spring suspension seat. That combo would have been well over 10K with the American Brand names and I spent less than 1/2 that assembled.
So far so good with 90hrs of 5ft box blading behind the dozer. It has made moving into the swamp land that I bought much easier. :-) It made easy work for the 400 ft driveway. And when the cable guys came-- :-), I hooked the chain to their 4wd! cable burier tractor and pulled it throught the muk(mud), Or maybe I should say drug it through the mud. :-) We got the job done though and I was most appreciative to them that they were able to get my phone and tv cable lines laid in the ground.
Do you do your own maintenance? I try to do the preventitive and adjustments myself when I think that I can.
This is my 2nd Chinese tractor. My 1st was a 254 Shinniu that I kept for 7 years, after it had done all the work that I had for it to do. I am hopeful that this little Jinma will keep running as I intend to try and do all of my tasks with it at my new location. My next piece of equipment will probable be an auger for helping out with the fence posts.
Do you think my little 22hp engine will operate a 12" auger? I think that the pto hp is about 19,, but I'm not sure about that.
Also have you had your headbolts retorqued?
Have a nice day,
Hooking up to the 3ph again :-)
Joe ....

View my Photos
matlun

2010-04-07          169837

I am also thinking of buying a Nortrac tractor...does anybody really know how they are for the price ? I just want something to replace the wheelbarrow. ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2010-04-07          169839

I've had a Jinma 304 for a bit over a year now and haven't had any problems that weren't of my own making. I opted for the 300 series because I need it to do some hefty hillside work and I wanted all the weight I could get for traction - the 304 is about a thousand pounds heavier than the 200 series, possibly more, and the drive train components are correspondingly heavier and sturdier. I have a FEL and I wanted the heavier front end for that.

The Jinma tractor is a real workhorse and the Jinma ZL30 loader is adequate - once I replaced the OEM control valve with an aftermarket one from RanchHand SUpply. That made all the difference in the world.

I run a 5' bush hog cutting cane grass and guinea grass that is dense and up to 8 feet tall. I wish I'd gotten a 6' instead of the 5', but there it is. I also have a 5' box blade that the tractor pulls with no effort at all - again, I probably should have gotten the 6'.

I'd have to say that I'm delighted with my Jinma. I'm sure I'd have been happy with a Kama or a Foton, too. The Chinese tractors have come a long way over the past decade and are pretty tough, reliable machines at a great value.

All the foregoing is based on proper set-up and maintenance. No tractor will tolerate crappy set-up or negligent maintenance for long. These are working machines that often get stressed to near their limits so they need attention. GIve them the attention they deserve and they do the job - they've been in hard use in China for thirty or forty years so they aren't junk.

Rich ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login