Go Bottom

Lower rad hose block heater

View my Photos
Carldarnell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-28          121846

Where can I get a lower radiator hose block heater for my NT254? How well do they work? Does anyone here use one?
Thanks for any info.
Carl

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-28          121850

Technically, you should only have to determine the inside diameter of the lower hose, then buy a unit to fit. They should be available in various sizes at most auto parts and farm stores.

But I seem to recall the lower hose sticking out a ways away from the engine. I always worried about catching it on something. You'd have to make sure an inline heater wouldn't aggravate that situation.

Have you considered a block heater? Freeze plug types are most common, but I think I read where one guy figured out how to install one right near the thermostat.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Carldarnell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-29          121927

I have been reluctant to use a lower hose heater because most of the heat is circulated in the radiator. After the thermostat is open it heats the block. A freeze out plug heater would heat the block first. I think I will check on one of them. Putting one it the thermostat housing would be the same as a lower rad. hose heater. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-29          121943

I'm not sure what your point is Carl. The thermostat is on the engine end of the upper hose. Since heat rises, I don't see how the thermostat would enter the picture when an inline heater is used on the lower hose.

The block heater I spoke of went into a fitting NEAR the thermostat housing. It was apparently designed in such a manner to accept a freeze plug type block heater. Your tractor may not have such a fitting.

I personally prefer to heat the oil pan. But the cooling fins on yours make that pretty near impossible, unless you can find a spot to stick one on the side of the pan.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login