Go Bottom

Bought used nortrac tractor

View my Photos
Singlemalt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-08-31          180131

Just bought a 2001 NT 254 with FEL and Gannon. I also got a weight that I don't know where it goes, or how to install, or under what conditions I should use it.
It's a series of square plates that look like they should hook over a flat plate either on the front or back of the machine.
Anybody have an idea where? It weighs about a 100 lbs so I would like to put on and leave it on.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-08-31          180137

They'll be your front ballast, but must be removed to obtain clearance for installed front loaders. When you remove the front loader, you compensate in part for the weight loss by adding those front weights. Look between the nose of the tractor and the bucket. If you're lucky, the bracket to which they attach is still there.

And I'm a Lagavulin fan myself, in fact just recently bought a bottle of 2010 cask strength.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2011-08-31          180138

As Greg said, that's the front ballast weight, not used when you have the loader mounted. Might be handy as additional weight when using the Gannon grader box, if you can figure a good way to affix it to the box, though. ....

View my Photos
Singlemalt

2011-08-31          180140

Hey thanks for the info.!
I don't know much about tractors, I just got to the point where I can't keep up with the area I've cleared, (about 5 acres out of 40) with my pick, shovel, and wheelbarrow, so I went to craigslist and found this one for $5500 with 84 hours on it. It will be a learning experience. Again thanks for the replies from everyone.
John

ps:
Hmmm. That's a new brand to me 'Lagavulin'. If I can find it in AZ, I'll give it a try. I've been drinking Glenlivit for many years. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-09-01          180151

Lagavulin is worth a sip before you die (but not a visit -- it's way out on a remote island). It's not as light as The Glenlivet (which I can't distinguish from Glenfiddich, which may be more available). Or you can get the Lagavulin stock in White Horse blends for a fraction of the cost.

You have to check the Glenlivet label. It was an 18-year blend but they've just come out with a 12-yr (as well as a premium 21-yr). Some single-malts are as fresh as three years; Lagavulin is 16. Guess what I'm gonna do now! ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-09-02          180158

Lagavulin (a western island malt) has considerably more personality than the more common Spey Valley malts. To my developing taste, the Speys are actually quite boring now. I'll bet it's nearly 10 years now, since I last bought a bottle. Not that I don't drink them, but when I do - it's by the glass in locations that don't serve island malts.

The cask strength Lagavulin is 12 years old, but 120 proof (as opposed to the 86 proof 16 year old). When you find an establishment that serves the 12 year old, you should be given a separate glass of room temperature water and a teaspoon. You add one spoon of water to the glass of cask strength Lagavulin, then slosh it around momentarily to mix the two. The water "turns on" the character. Given that 12 year old cask strength costs half again as much as the 16 year old 86 proof, drinking it any other way is a foolish waste of money.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-09-02          180159

Only tried a couple of the dozens of Speysides. I found the Knocknando dismally light (they then said each bottling is different -- as if they were a winery) but admired the Glenfiddich.

Cask-strength is not offered in Canada. Your description of the ritual is how it's presented at the distilleries. (I snuck a sip of the straight stuff, and then couldn't taste or smell anything.) ....

View my Photos
Singlemalt

2011-09-05          180186

I have been looking for some teeth for the FEL. The ground here gets like concrete during the summer, and it's very tough on the bucket. My neighbor has a bobcat and he has put teeth on his bucket. I have found them in 5' widths, but my bucket is only 4'. Are there alternatives? The only way I have found to dig into the earth so far, is to use the teeth on the Gannon to break the surface, then pick up the breakage.
John ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-09-05          180187

I think the way you're doing it is as far as you should go. If the Bobcat is a skidsteer, that's a big step up from a CUT. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-09-05          180189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlemalt | view 180186
Ihave been looking for some teeth for the FEL.
Plenty around. 4 footers are less common, but not unavailable. Or would you prefer installing individual teeth rather than a toothbar? If you're unfamiliar with the difference, individual teeth are typically welded on. Toothbars on the other hand are affixed to the bucket with two bolts. Gives you the convenient option of removing the toothbar when less aggressive work is to be done.

That said, the entire front drive of the Jinma 200 series is a bit delicate compared to other tractors in that size class. Remember, a tractor is for pulling and a FEL is for loading. Putting teeth on a tractor FEL doesn't make it a bulldozer. On that particular tractor I'd refrain from using bucket teeth at all when "the ground is like concret", that would be a good time to bust it up first with Gannon scarifiers.

Any time of the year however, 200 Series owners are cautioned to avoid the temptation of using 4wd during loader work.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2011-09-05          180190

I installed individual teeth on my bucket, but they're NOT for digging - they're for a bit more advantage when picking up and moving brush and rocks.

I agree with Auerbach that you risk damaging the tractor when trying to dig hard ground using the bucket on a 254. The front end components on the 200-series Jinmas aren't the strongest in the class and a number of users have broken front drives, axles and steering components when trying to use the *loader* bucket as if it were a backhoe or dozer. It ain't.

Using the scarifiers on the Gannon grader box is the better way to break ground. They work on the pull and don't over-stress critical components of the tractor. ....

View my Photos
Singlemalt

2011-09-05          180193

Thanks,
It really helps to have knowledgeable folks to warn me about ignorant mistakes. I felt I was straining the machine when trying to force the bucket into the soil. (It kind of folded in the middle and stood up on it's hind legs), so I quit doing that after the first time, and went to using the teeth on the Gannon to break up the soil.
So this is a Jinma? know nothing about them, but I'll track them down and read the specs. Maybe Northern Tool would be able to help.
Also, I'll forget the teeth idea, and use 2WD when using the FEL.
You'd think at my age (almost 80) I would know more, but I've never been around tractors before....
John

Heh, I know more about scotch than tractors.. ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2011-09-05          180199

Yep, the NorTracs are re-badged Jinmas. Good little tractors that will do a lot of work if you set them up right and keep them maintained. As with any piece of equipment, timely and proper maintenance and attention to details will make the difference between happy ownership and problems.

There are four manuals that should come with the tractor - owner's, engine, tractor parts, engine parts. If you don't have all of them, I recommend ordering them form one of the reputable dealers like Affordable Tractor Sales or RanchHand Supply. The manuals are written in "Chinglish", but they contain a lot of necessary information on maintenance, repairs, etc. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-09-05          180202

I suppose the rationale for not using 4 for loader work is to go easier on the front end, but most operators (including me) automatically put it in 4 when excavating or even just transporting a heavy load. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-09-05          180204

As do I and most other folks. In Chinese tractor forums, that caution is pretty much limited to those who own one of the Jinma 200 series. That includes the JM180/184, JM200/204, JM220/224, JM250/254, JM280/284 and re-badged equivalents.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login