Go Bottom

Nortrac NT304C Tractor Fuel Sediment

View my Photos
sjrogers1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-12-02          181477

We have a NT304C. Is there a plastic fuel tank available for this tractor? We can see stuff floating in the metal tank. This iis after we have drained and flushed it. We also see stuff floating in the sediment bowl. Can we add an inline filter between the tank and the injecter pump, if so what do you recomend. The tractor will run for a while with a new fuel filter then slow down and quit. Can someone tell me if we can buy a non Northern (chinese) filter?
Steve

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
richwaugh

2011-12-02          181479

You didn't say what year your Nortrac 304 is, but I can tell you that my 2007 Jinma 304 has a steel tank and I've had no problems yet, in spite of the fact I live in the tropics. You may have diesel bugs, also known as HUMbugs, for "hydrocarbon utilizing microbes". These little critters get in diesel fuel and live in the fuel/water interface at the bottom of the tank. They die and make a dark sludge that can clog fuel lines, filters and hoses and also corrode your injector pump. They sell biocides to deal with them, and I suggest you get some and use it. You first need to thoroughly clean and purge the tanks and fuel system.

To properly clean the fuel tank you need to remove it and drain it and clean it with boiling water and some TSP, then dry it thoroughly. The fuel line connection must be removed and the filter screen hidden in it also cleaned as above. Likewise for the fuel petcock and sediment bowl -there is another filter screen hidden in that, too. Then there are the fuel lines themselves. Age, use and diesel bugs can all contribute to make those lines deteriorate and begin shedding bits of rubber - Chinese rubber isn't the best to start with, either. I'd suggest replacing them with US-made hoses suitable for diesel fuel. Ditto for the fuel return line from the injector pump - it isn't under any great pressure so its not tough to replace.

Replace your inline spin-on fuel filter and purge the hoses all the way to the lift pump. I've had no problems with the Chinese filters, but you can find US cross references if you search around. Your choice. Re-assemble the fuel system, refill with fresh fuel and biocide treatment and run the engine for twenty minutes. Of course, you'll have to go through the whole priming and pumping routine to get it to even start...

I don't know of any plastic tanks made specifically for these tractors, but you could probably get a tank for a small travel trailer and make it fit. I sincerely doubt that it is worth the trouble and expense, though. Get yours really clean and deal with all those hidden filter screens and you should be okay. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-03          181481

Diesel bug residue typically looks like gray (sometimes greenish) sludge in the sediment bowl. But you don't usually see them floating IN the tank. If it's in fact a diesel bug infestation, Rich covered that pretty well. But if the stuff is red or brownish flakes, it's paint. I had that happen to the steel tank on my KM454. Removing the tank for an acetone wash is the fast solution, but caught mine early enough to take a less labor-intensive solution. I removed the sediment bowl assembly from the tank, which includes the little in-tank screen Rich mentioned. I removed that screen, then reinstalled the sediment bowl assembly. From that point I merely watched the sediment bowl, dumping it before the pile of paint chips got to 1/2" or so. I also topped up the tank with fuel every time I was done using the tractor for the day. After about a year of this, the sediment bowl eventually stayed clean. Pretty sure keeping the tank as full as possible helped speed up the "self-cleaning" process. At that point, I reinstalled the little in-tank screen, no problems since.

This lazy-man's procedure was effective enough to where I never had any fuel filter, pump, or injector problems. There are by the way, aftermarket fuel filters available at most auto parts stores. Which one you need will however, vary with the engine in your tractor. Respond with the info from your engine data label, someone with the same engine will hopefully respond in kind.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-03          181483

There are biocides designed for adding to diesel. ....

View my Photos
sjrogers1

2012-04-12          183131

Just now getting back to the tractor. The tractor was bought new either 2005 or 06. Is there an inline filter to put between the sediment bowl and the pump? Will work on the screens next time I'm there. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-04-12          183132

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrogers1 | view 183131
Is there an inline filter to put between the sediment bowl and the pump?
Well, there's already the spin-on fuel filter canister. Plus at least one of the low pressure fuel lines has an inline screen at the banjo fitting. Added to the in-tank screen and the sediment bowl screen, that already makes 3 screens and a filter. I'm not sure why you think more filtration is necessary. Have you experienced clogged fuel injector tips or something?

I say this because there's no substitute for actually cleaning a contaminated tank. As long as there's crud of any kind in the fuel path, any number of screens and filters will continue to get fouled. Purge the entire fuel system first, then re-evaluate the need for more filtration.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2012-04-12          183136

You say that the tractor runs a while and then stops - that's a symptom of a clogged fuel system, alright, and you need to address the cause of the clogging at the source as Greg said. Adding another filter will just provide another place to get clogged up and stop the engine.

If the problem stems form either paint flakes or rust from the tank getting in the filter screens, then the only real cure is to pull the tank and really clean it. Remove the tank from the tractor and remove the fittings from the tank, including the fuel level sender. Then block the outlet and partly fill the tank with a 50/50 mixture of acetone and MEK and slosh it around for several minutes and then dump it out through a cloth filter to see what you get. You may need to do this several times. A magnet may give you an indication of whether or not the contaminants are rust. I'd then put the solvent back in the tank along with a pack or two of steel BBs and shake the living beejeezus out of it until exhausted. The BBs will beat loose any remaining scale or paint and then you can rinse the tank a couple of times with fresh solvent or fuel and it should be good to go. I'd give the thing a treatment with biocide just to be safe.

Reassemble the system while cleaning all the screens and replacing any filters you may have. Given the age of the tractor, I wouldn't hesitate to replace any rubber lines that are present - Chinese rubber is known for deteriorating and shedding crud or collapsing. Standard reinforced replacement fuel line will work just fine. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-04-13          183139

It is also possible the issue is not your tank but the tranks the fuel is in before the tractor. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-04-13          183142

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 183139
It is also possible the issue is not your tank but the tranks the fuel is in before the tractor.
If the case is biological, it doesn't really matter. The unfortunate truth here is that diesel bugs - or the associated contaminants - move with the fuel. If it comes from a contaminated tank, it will almost without exception contaminate the receiving tank.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
sjrogers1

2012-04-28          183381

Not sure where to buy the MEK, I can find acetone and TSP. What would work better and safer to use? I can also find a couple of packs of BB to dump in. Will also dump in a bioside. If we want to replace the line from the sediment bulb to the primer pump do we need to get that from Northern or can smeone make that for us? Will try and get this fixed in the next couple of weeks. Also need to pull the radiater and have it boiled out as it seems to heat up during use. It didn't used to do that until we blew the head gasket.
Thanks for all the help ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-04-28          183382

Google this:

whitewater designs + mek ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-04-28          183383

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrogers1 | view 183381
Also need to pull the radiater and have it boiled out as it seems to heat up during use.It didn't used to do that until we blew the head gasket.Thanks for all the help
Have you re-torqued the head bolts since replacing the head gasket? And hopefully you didn't replace the coolant with anything stronger than a 50/50 mix. Insufficient water in the mix can cause overheating as well. Have you installed a coolant recovery hose and bottle?

Once the radiator is clean inside and out, take subsequent care to clean the the fins, especially if the battery (or other hardware) sits in front of the radiator.

When reinstalling the radiator, take care to correctly position the shroud in relation to the fan blades. They should be just inside the shroud. Too far in or too far out can also cause overheating.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
sjrogers1

2012-04-28          183387

No coolant recovery bottle, but I can install one. We are ready to retorque the head bolts (25 hours) if we can get the tractor to run good. Don't know about the mix on the antifreeze, but will make sure next time it is 50/50. What the best way to clean the fuel tank???
Thanks, ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-04-28          183389

What came out of mine was a combination of diesel bugs and paint chips. I caught the microbes early enough with a biocide so I avoided the clogged filters and injector tips. I just kept a keen eye on the sediment bowl, dumping and cleaning it just about every other time I used the tractor. But to do that, I removed the in-tank screen. Microbes went away first, and all the paint chips eventually vibrated out within a year. When the sediment bowl stayed clean for a couple months running, I replaced the in-tank screen.

One trick is to keep the fuel tank topped up regularly, and dump the sediment bowl at the first sign of water. That denies the diesel bugs a survivable environment.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
richwaugh

2012-04-28          183390

I answered your question about the best way to clean a tank back in December - scroll up and check it out. ....

View my Photos
sjrogers1

2012-06-07          183793

We added the bioside and the tractor seems to run good now. We will keep the tractor tank full and keep putting the maint level of bioside in our fuel trailer. Tractor is at the shop now to get the head bolts retorqued. Will probably change the antifreeze to make sure we have a 50/50 mix. We are also replacing the thermostat. Where can we get a coolant recovery bottle?

Thanks for all the help!! ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-06-07          183796

Been a few years, but those I installed came from JC Whitney at $10 bucks a pop. They're probably more than that now, but so is the price of anti-freeze on the ground.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login