Go Bottom

Nortrac 204C Tractor no markings on dip stick

View my Photos
greyfox5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-06-11          190457

I purchased new NT204C in 2005. I just changed at 100 hours my transmission sump and front axle gear oil. I also changed the hydraulic fluid too. My owner's manual says to screw in the dip stick for the hydraulic fluid and check to see if it is between the marks on the dip stick. Well there are no marks on the dip stick. How do I check it when there aren't any marks to see. Also I was only able to drain 1 gallon hydraulic fluid out with the hitch and FEL down. It calls for 2.38 gallons in my owner's manual for the hydraulic sump but was only able to get 1.25 gallons in it to the top of the fill hole. Also my manual doesn't say to screw in the dip stick plugs at the front axle or the transmission sump to take the readings. Should I screw them in or not? I filled the transmission sump and front axle up to top of the fill holes also too. Haven't started tractor yet. Not sure what might happen if I over fill sumps and axle.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Nortrac 204C Tractor no markings on dip stick

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-06-16          190469

I filled my hydraulic sump to the point where fluid just reached high enough to wet the bottom of the dipstick. But threaded Asian dipsticks should not be screwed back into the hole for a level check. Unscrew, wipe, set back ON the hole, remove, check level. Checking the level ON the hole rather than IN the hole will partially solve the mystery of the missing fluid. The rest is likely in the lines and cylinders.

Also, never lower hitch or FEL before shutting off the engine. Doing so will push fluid back to the sump, possibly overfilling it to the point of spillage out the vent plug. Lower hydraulics, shut off engine, THEN check levels.

Front drive uses same GEAR OIL as transmission & rear end. But you should only fill it to the point the axle shafts are submerged. You should drain some out, or you'll develop leaks. Don't just top up and forget though, as it takes a while for the thick gear oil to flow into the outboard drives. Check again in after about an hour of driving the tractor, and top up as necessary.

Transmission & rear end should have marks on the dipstick. Same thing; remove, wipe, set in hole, check level, adjust as required.

Hydraulic sump has a drain. Front end has a drain, transfer case has a drain, tranny has a drain, as does the rear end. Some variants even have a 2nd rear end drain. And again, if/when topping up tranny/rear end, work the tractor for a while and check levels again.

//greg// ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login