Go Bottom

Mahindria 5500 four wheel drive with loader

View my Photos
gberan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-14          170001

I have a power steering problem with this unit. I has been prevelant since I bought the tractor new but has gotten worse over the years. Mahindria would not do anything with it as they said the tractor was not tested or rated for a frontend oader. Whe I start the tractor I have to have the RPMs at aroud 1500 and turn the steering to the left first to get the steering to engage, turning to the right after turning left is ok, but if I try turnig right without first turning slightly left takes about ten turns of the steering wheel before it will start turing right, Any help appreciated, Ps. I am not loosing fluid.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-14          170014

Does your lift work fine all the time? Will it lift when the steering will not work and smoothly? When the steering does not work have you tried to bleed the steering system?

I ran a friend's tractor recently with steering issue about like your's and his tractor was pulling air in the hyd oil causing issues with steering and lift. Could bleed the steering and both worked fine for about 30 minutes and then problem again.

A dealer told me somewhere there had to be small hole in the suction side pulling air into it. Oh, his tractor is a Allis Chambers. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-15          170018

Sounds to me like the power steering rotary valve which is at the end of the steering column needs to be rebuilt.

Any good, qualified hydraulics shop should be able to test it off the machine.

Ten years ago it cost me over $700 to have my smallish backhoe's done and removed and installed it myself. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-04-15          170019

Kenny--Allis Chambers? Errrrr? B-o-y, it's Allis-Chalmers! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-04-15          170020

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 170019
Kenny--Allis Chambers? Errrrr? B-o-y, it's Allis-Chalmers!

EW, My hero...

View my Photos
gberan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-15          170028

No problems with lift or other hydraulics. The steering will not lock in either direction when the wheels are fully turned the steering wheel still turn instead of locking. The book says to bleed air out of system by turning fully in each direction and holding for a few seconds, this does not help. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login