Go Bottom

pitless adapter

View my Photos
birgenheier
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-07-17          172344

Can anyone advise if a pitless adapter is available to use through a 3 inch wall of a concrete tile in a dug well?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

pitless adapter

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-17          172347

Technically yes, but there's various designs of them, a dug might need a minimum depth, and some jurisdictions have regulations around well construction (sometimes depending on the intended water use). So I'd check with a local well authority (commercial or regulatory) to be sure. ....

pitless adapter

View my Photos
birgenheier

2010-07-17          172350

Where can I find such a pitless adapter to go through a 3 inch concrete tile wall? ....

pitless adapter

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-17          172352

I assume you live in a rural setting being your talking about a dug well. Check your yellow pages for a pump and well repair person. If they been in business very long there isn't much they haven't seen in the past.
Again assuming you are outside a city jurisdiction you likely are subject to some county regulations on any well service.
We have a house on the farm that we built about fifteen years ago, and almost nothing here is required so far as permits to build, wire, plumbing, HVAC, etc. except the well and sewer. Even if you only repair or update a well it is subject to inspecftion and sampling for bacteria, etc. before you can use it. ....

pitless adapter

View my Photos
birgenheier

2010-07-17          172353

Yes, I do live in a very rural setting and can do what I feel is best without someone looking over my shoulder. Dug wells and points are very common around the Northern Adirondack lake that I live on. Thanks for yout input.

Regards, Dave Birgenheier ....

pitless adapter

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-17          172354

Sorry -- I'm not sure if you see the challenge as drilling through the casing, attaching the fasteners to the casing, or finding a long-enough extension for the casing thickness. Unless it's something else, for the first two, carbide bits, for the extension a well shop. ....

pitless adapter

View my Photos
birgenheier

2010-07-17          172355

The concrete well tile already has 2 inch round pockets, 2 inch deep, cast in for the purpose of lifting. All I need to do is drill or pond through them to accept the pitless adapter that has a long enough extention to go through the 3 inch wall. ....

pitless adapter

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-17          172356

Dave;
Yes, you can do lots of things without anyone watching over your shoulder. I can point to a few sewer filter beds and septic tanks that were installed after dark to avoid a permit and inspection, and long as the people who did it were knoledgeable on sewer systems they work just as well as one with a permit.
A large diamater dug well with a concrete liner is just not seen around here so can't comment on the well it's self, so I have no experience to share on a concrete casing. I would however want to be dead sure that you have a perfect seal around the adapter where it goes thru the casing to keep any surface water from leaking in. A leak into a septic tank don't matter much but a leak into your drinking water well does matter.
I have in the past cut the opening and welded in a cast iron pittless adapter into 5-6 inch diamater steel well casings and helped the well man install the pump that hangs from the adapter.
This was before well permits and inspections were required in our county. Probably more than half of the newer wells here use a plastic casing now and I don't know how the adapter is fastened into the plastic casing. ....

pitless adapter

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-07-18          172357

If this Illinois firm doesn't have one on the shelf for your application, they can customize: maassmidwest.com ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login