Go Bottom

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
Oliver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-09          141963

The tackroom/storage space in the barn right now is not finished -- just exposed studs. I am looking for something cheap, easy, and sturdy to finish it and was thinking of T1-11 plywood siding. What do people think -- good idea or not? Other thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
rbgilley

2007-05-09          141965

We used a barnwood (purchased at Lowes)exterior siding 4x8 sheeting in our barn. Gave it a rustic look without much work. ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-09          141966

What I saw a lot of working in the deep south when they were recovering from Katrina and had to get their businesses back online quickly--believe it or not-- was 1/4" luan (mahogany) underlayment used as paneling, and in some cases in homes--before and after the storm---was OSB which was painted white. At first glance it looked like a textured ceiling. I'd use drywall screws instead of nails. And the OSB is self-supporting so you could arrange tools and shelves on it easily. ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-09          141970

Oliver, the 7/16 OSB is hard to beat for price and all around unless you have a real moisture problem. EW's advice is good. Do not use 1/4 inch on walls. kt ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
Oliver

2007-05-09          141976

Thanks! I'll have to go to Home Depot and the local lumber yard and see what is available. 4X8 sheets are really appealing -- quicjk and easy! ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-05-10          141980

jus my two cents, wont be as easy or cheap as osb, but if you have a concrete floor, and want to keep rats/mice out think about 4x8 sheets of fiber cement board, in this area Hardy Brand,

impervious to water, etc, goes up with nail gun, paintable, and trim boards available. ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-05-10          141983

I like fiber cement siding products but how does it work to keep mice and rats out? ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-10          141984

Randy; I've heard the term "Fibre Cement Board", but never had an occasion to work with it. What is it made of? Does it have cemant in it? What benefit does it have over other materials like Masonite, Common Sheetrock, etc. Usually the word "Cement" rymes with "Heavy", is this the case? fill me in, it might serve a need for me someday if I knew what it is for. Thanks. Frank. ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-05-10          141985

Yes it does have cement/fibers, it is very hardy, and would be nearly impossible for rats/mice to chew through if properly fitted. Not a guarantee, but mice woudl definately have a heck of a time getting past this stuff.

I used it for my house siding,(no mice so far, three years in house in the country) it comes pre primed for painting, smooth finish or wood grain, can be cut with a carbide tipped circular saw, and mounted with nail gun,or drilled and screwed.

It is heavy, though only 1/4" thick. As to advantages over masonite etc, it will not rot or delaminate even if the paint/caulk wears out.

Termites wont touch it, and If cleaning is needed, a pressure washer wont affect it.

Hope this answers Q's.. jameshardie.com ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-10          141986

Cementious board, the stuff used as backer-board for ceramic tiles, and commonly known as blue-board, cement-board or Fibre-Cement board is just that, fibre-reinforced concrete board.

Picture sheet-rock but made with cement instead of gypsum.

It is rodent resistant because it is so hard they can't chew through it without a LOT of work. It is also really pricey.

We use galvanized tin sheeting a lot, if you use low-profile galv. roofing it is pretty cheap and goes up really easy. It's not bad looking for something like a barn, if you use it to line a shop or something like that you get the added bonus of fire safety and resistance to dirt and bumps from hard objects.

All in all, OSB is also a good choice for a barn, if you want to add to the rodent proof aspect, sprinkle a good amount of rat poison, the sealed pouches are really good, inside the walls anywhere you think they might try to get in before you seal the walls, that way if something tries it won't succeed for long.

Best of luck. ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-05-10          141987

Murph is right, OSB and Rat poison would be a lot cheaper and easier,

I wasn't trying to sell the stuff, jus adding my two cents worth.

...RJ...:) ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-10          141988

Last winter when we built the loft's (get the LOFT"S) we started with one, it worked so well we now have two in the new workshop that still is along way from complete, they poured the footings this morning for a 46X46 addition. We lined the heated aeria under one of the loft's with common barn steel laid horozontal. The local yard we have always bought our building needs from have two or three pole barn crews that work nearly year round. Anyhow out back they have a stack of "Scratch and Dent", leftover sheets of steel usually always white. If you have bought an entire building, house, barn, whatever from them you can buy as much as you need for not much more than the hauling. That is what we used to line the heated shop aeria with. Most sheets you have to hunt a while to find the scratch. Plenty good for what we needed. Frank. PS; EW, if you read this please don't faint but the first 18X46 loft we built now has over 14,000 bd. ft.(roughly 93 ton) of lumber on it without a hint of sag, the second loft doesn't have much on it yet, but I figured up the other day I still have another 4-5000 bd. ft. to go on the second one. ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-10          141993

Frank: (Gulp) I thought the Earth was starting to list a bit your way. What happens when you lean against one of the support posts? DOH! I was jis' kidding Frank ---DON'T do it! ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-05-10          141995

EW; I do want you to sleep tonight so I'll fill you in a bit on the loft('s) construction. The floor joists are those "Mickey Mouse" looking beams made of two 3X3's with a strip of chipboard between them. I asked for 2X12 floor joists, but the "Engeneer" we consulted with said his chipboard masterpieces were twice a strong as any 2x12, so we used them. They are supported by the original 2X6 studs, spaced on 16 inch centers on the outside wall of the building and the other end of the joists is suported by a studded wall made of 2X10's centered on 16 inches. The space between the 2X10 studs is being utilized as parts bins, so kinda the two bird with one rock theory. Sleep well. Frank. ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-10          141997

(z-z-z-z-z-z-z) ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-05-10          141998

I knew what it was, we have hardie-plank and hardie-shingle siding on our house, I just couldn't see how it would cut down on rodents. Mice get into our garage and it has hardie-plank siding. The problem isn't the siding, those 'lil bastards get in through the smallest holes. The garage isn't built quite as tight as the rest of the house (with the garage doors and all) but I wouldn't expect a barn to be built as tight as a house either. ....

Finishing barn interior

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-11          142005

I may be wrong but the inside walls of my barn will get bumped. A slight bump okay, but the Hardi board will not take the impact 7/16 OSB will. To mount such as shelves over it I think you will have to mount to the studs, not as easy as the OSB or plywood would be. I have used 1/2 Hardi some on outside of old house and like it there. My 1 cent worth. kt ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login