Go Bottom

Pole Barn Advice

View my Photos
NailBeater
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-01-24          186040

Hi all. I'm looking at putting up a new pole barn and was hoping I could get some input into some of the decisions I need to make.

First - I'm thinking of a 30' x 40'. Basically to be used as storage for a MF 135, implements, a couple atv's and dirt bikes, a couple mowers and maybe a car or 2. Hoping to have some space to do vehicle maintenance, and maybe some wood and metal work too.

I had always thought about having a 10' height, but wondering now if 9' wouldn't be sufficient. Can anyone point to anything I may want to do that 10' would allow, but 9' wouldn't? I doubt I'd ever go with much bigger a tractor than my 135. I can drive it into my 8' garage, but have to duck at the 7' door.

Also - I have about a 2' grade drop between the high corner of my building to spot to the diagonal corner. Has anyone dealt with an issue like this? Is there a proper way to handle it that would make it sound, but not show 2' of grade board?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or ideas you can share.

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pole Barn Advice

View my Photos
Woodie

2013-01-24          186041

Nail- Do you have a restricted budget or open? I had a 30 x60 with 10' side wall built to house a TC33, implements, 16' pontoon boat, 14' sailboat(both on trailers), addtiional yard equipment- two riders, small snowblower, tillers etc. with a bay for my truck and use as 'mechanical' work and a woodshop area. I wish I had gone 12' walls-sure the TC/ROPS goes in okay thru the 10' slider but w/the garage door bays a bit tight in clearing the ROPS and truck w/cap. (Think I should have gone to 40 wide now that the place is nearing capacity..;-)ha ha amzing what accumalates). I would suggest layout in scale your planned barn and cut out little cardboard scale 'markers' of your equipment and place them how you plan on stowing everything and leave a bit of room to access and manuever:-( one thing i didn't do too well (got more implements) plus acct for height. As to the ground slope- how much area around the site do you have available? if a reasonable amount 20 ft or so, have a bulldozer reduce height in high spot and push to lower area but leave your 'floor grade' of barn high, compact site or let settle (depending on soil conditions). I had this done on my site. This is just my .00003 cents worth. Good Luck ....

Pole Barn Advice

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-01-24          186048

If it were mine I'd go for the height. You never know when you might want to put in a 2 or 4 post lift for vehicle maintenance! At least that's my plan. But a 10 foot ceiling is probably too low for that plan. ....

Pole Barn Advice

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-01-25          186053

I have a 32' x 48' and wish it were a little longer. The 32' allows (2) generous size doors and a nice distance between doors on a gable end. That way, I can get(3)vehicle widths parked inside. For length, I can keep my 18' flat bed connected to my truck. On the other side, I can keep my 14' enclosed attached to my pick-up and have a few feet behind for a workbench. In the middle row I park a tractor and tools.

I went with tall sides with one door being about 11' tall. I can park an RV or camper inside if it ever happens. The other door is 9' tall and allows my enclosed to fit.

I would build up the area where you encounter a slope and pack it hard so the concrete doesn't settle. ....

Pole Barn Advice

View my Photos
tnttom

2013-01-25          186054

I often see the guys that install them around here [WV] use 3 treated 2x6s in the ground,they leave the middle one 2' shorter and then use framing for the rest of the way.they are staggered to tie them together stronger,and they hinge the top sections up into place. That way they get any length they need and don't pay for higher priced 6x6s. ....

Pole Barn Advice

View my Photos
adamhberkey

2013-06-24          187482

I build pole buildings and I would not build one with a wall height shorther than 10'. I avoid installing overhead doors shorter than 8'.

Adam H. Berkey
http://nwpolebuildings.com ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login