Go Bottom

How to coat tin roof barn

View my Photos
circlediron
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-04-14          186685

what type liquid show i purchase in order to spray on barn and shop tin top and which color would be best. thanks much

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-14          186687

Two things are critical, what's already on the metal and the prep job you do before applying it.

You need to provide a little info. to get a useful reply.

Best of luck.. ....

View my Photos
circlediron

2013-04-14          186689

probably needs to be washed off it is tin that has been on for 25 years ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-04-15          186711

A few years back there was at least one company who came through on a regular basis doing this. There was much variance in their pricing if you pushed them. They used a silver product that was very shinny when first applied and sadly the shine nor the coating lasted very long. No idea the brand or such but would not recommend it. Silver paint would have been better.

I would talk with good local paint supply dealer myself. Then I have one of those.

Wonder how cool seal used on mobile homes would be?
kt ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2013-04-16          186740

I'm using a product called CALBAR Shower-Proof WB in "Tinner's Red". It's pricey, but is a one-coat application; primer and color coat in one. It goes on at a rate of 1 gallon per 200 sf. Only surface prep is to power wash the oxidized paint off before rolling.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
puppybreath

2013-06-05          187242

I'd also go with the lightest color possible unless you are under trees or out of direct sun, keeps the heat out better.

roll/brush on is normally thicker material and seems to last a bit longer and is cheaper for materials than spray on coatings, with spray on you pay for the volatiles to make it spray. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2013-06-05          187244

There is a product called roof coat especially made for coating barn roofs. In our farming area we have several contractors that put this on. It usually comes in a light gray or silver. Believe it has fiberglass strands in it which helps hold it together over the years stopping it from pealing. Powerwash the roof first, let it dry and screw down any loose sections. If you are only doing a small section, there is stuff mobile home owners use that will do the trick. My barn was painted almost 20 years ago with it and it still looks good. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login