Go Bottom

Barn Flooring

View my Photos
Davecue
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-08-14          41256

I have a type of a pole barn with 3 horse stalls and a tack room. I no longer board horses and have removed the boards from the first of the three stalls to house my newly acquired Yanmar tractor. I plan to remove the boards from at least one other stall to accommodate implements and a small trailer.

The floor is a dirt floor. I am looking for something to cover the floor on a semi-permanent basis to better accommodate my tractor and implements. Other than concrete, which is permanent, or mulch, which is too temporary, what suggestion do you have for flooring for the tractor and implements?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Barn Flooring

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-14          41257

My suggestion is limestone crush. Get the fine grade and then after spreading it wet it down and drive the tractor over it to pack it down. Once competed it can be as smooth as concrete and should stay put with out tracking dirt into the house. ....

Barn Flooring

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-15          41268

If it's going to be an area used to maintain the tractor, then something with minimal grit is good. A surface where all the parts and tools that are dropped can be found also is good. Peters’ limestone might do the trick. ....

Barn Flooring

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-08-15          41272

A Few years ago, I found myself in a simaler situation. I tried the crushed limestone, and it packed down well, but after some time, it dried out and turned to powder. I guess if it was watered down occasionally, it would be ok.

I finally got lucky, I found some sheets of steel at a local scrapyard, they were 14 gauge. I leveled the crushed lime so it was perfectly flat, and layed in the sheets. I did dig a rodent barrier around the paremeter of the floor and set in 12" wide strips to keep the little beasts from tunnelling under my work area.

It worked for five years untill we were able to build a new storage building. ....

Barn Flooring

View my Photos
Whiskey

2002-08-26          41660

I'm a little late but I used conveyer belting for flooring...works like a champ...you can sweep it to keep it clean for when you need to get on the floor and work I havn't spilled anything on it that has hurt it yet even oil's and gas...but I don't let it set there for long if i do spill something on it...I havn't found a down fall to it yet ....

Barn Flooring

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-26          41664

Whiskey;
Not everyone has a source for the conveyor belts. I have seen them work well though.
If you have a paper mill near you, you may be able to get the old paper screen material. This is very heavy plastic screen.
I was going to suggest scrap coated vinyl also but everyone doesnot have access to this either.
Peters ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login