Go Bottom

Pature Rennovator

View my Photos
Toller
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-04          107255

I have several acres of hardpan soil...rocks and clay and sand. With the terrain the erosion is starting to be come a real problem. I'd like to get this in grass.

I talked to the implement dealer about a small disk as I thought I could use that to break up this baked and hardened soil. He's suggesting something he calls a "pasture rennovator." From what I can see, these come in several forms ranging from just what amounts to a scarifier to a combination of a disk and a drag apparatus.

Any thoughts on a "pasture rennovator?"

Thanks.

Eric

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pature Rennovator

View my Photos

2005-03-11          107806

To Toller

It depends what you want to do. Do you want to remove
the rocks? If not, I would spray with round-up (when
you think a heavy rain is coming within a week). I would
then broadcast seed (top seed) with a combination of
plants, you would need one annual that will sprout very
quickly, to prevent more erosion. Then use a variety of
whatever perenials you want. Then make sure it has the
proper lime (ph) or lime the heck out of it in the
next spring. Also, fertilize heavily,because you have
probably lost most of your good top soil.
If you want to pick the rocks up - I have no answer.
I only get the surface rocks off that type of land
then try to get a couple perenials going. Cut it or
bale it a couple times a year, then continue to lime
and fertilize yearly.
good luck
doc

Pature Rennovator

View my Photos
taheide

2005-04-21          110193

For a one time deal see if you can rent a pulverizer for your tractor. Out south of Rockford here there is an Ace hardware store that rents one for a 3 point hitch thats PTO powered. It will loosen the top soil, break up clumps, dislodge rocks and move the large junk off to the side, and when finished leave a nice smooth surface for planting seed. If you have a farmer local to you, see if he has a seed drill and ask if he can plant for you. A local farmer to me tilled, harrowed and seeded my pastures from a corn field when I first moved to where I am now, a year before I got my tractor, I gave him a $100 for doing it. If he can do all that for you, that will work as well, but it wont be as smooth as if you did the pulverizer thing. What you should put down is a good pasture seed mix if you have horses use that type, cattle/cows use the one for them. If you just want grass, then get a decent seed mixture. When you plant, also ooverseed with a good rye mix, annual/perrinial mix which sprouts really fast and gives a good hold to the soil so the slower growing hardier grass can take root. Depending on weather, you may need to seed a few times the first year to get a good carpet down, then fertilize it every year. See if you have a farm service nearby that you can get fertilizer from, it will save you some big bucks. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login