Go Bottom

tines fall off a Iseki tiller

View my Photos
blljr23
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-18          111223

5' Iseki tiller with the "C" style tines with one bolt are coming off and I was thinking of making a new rotor shaft tube that would take the "L" style tines with two bolt flange. Has anyone ever modified a tiller for different style tines and what was the result? Yes, I do use a good Gr 8 bolt on the tiller. bjr23

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
psimonson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-18          111233

A couple of questions before you spend the time and money to change the shaft and tines. You say you’re using good grade bolts, but what about the nuts, are they grade 8 too? Are you using elastic locknuts or some other kind of locking nut to be sure they don’t vibrate loose because once they loosen they’ll shear much easier. Are the bolts long enough that the shank portion of the bolt – not the threads – is aligned with the joint between the tine and the bolt flange? This can significantly increase shear strength.

Can you simply go to larger diameter bolts if none of the above works?

View my Photos
blljr23
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-18          111237

I do appreciate the response. I know some of my ideas seem rather bizzare.

Yes the nuts were a hardened, I beleive grade 8 lock nut. The bolts were not so long as to have a non thread shank. The style of mount is a rectangle tube and the shank of the tine fits into. Most of the rectangle tube have elongated from use. One side of the tube has a machined hex pattern hole that the nut fits so no holding wrench is needed. I used a 7/16" bolts.

I had the impression most all newer tillers have the two bolt flange style rotor shafts and it just looked like the tines were held more securely that style. I was wondering if anyone had went to the trouble of making a new shaft with the newer mounting style. blljr23 ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login