Go Bottom

removing plastic and mulch the leveling a yard

View my Photos
rogermo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-21          115221

Ok here is an odd one for you all. We are re-doing my mothers yard after years of her natural look. Years ago she put down carpet and black plastic to keep weeds down then mulch. Over the years the mulch turned to dirt. I used my 4110 rear blade to pull up the carpet and plastic and dirt then used my bucket to stack it for later getting ride of it. Now I want to dig a bit deeper to level out the yard. The tractor all 4 wheels spin or the blade just skips across the ground. Can I add weight to the blade or what is the best way to level the ground to seed in grass. are is 100x40 and 40x70. Any ideas. thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-22          115224

RogerMo; I don't think adding weight to your blade will do much good. If you're sure you got all the old carpet and plastic a rear mount tiller would be ideal to loosen up the soil. If there is still some carpet left you'll have a hard time with the tiller wraping. Also a rear box blade with the scarifier teeth should tear the hard soil up. The box blade teeth will also catch the old carpet, but not be near the problem it would with the tiller. Good luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-22          115226

I think Frank is right. More weight on the blade will make for even more wheel spinning.

It sounds like you are running out of traction and and I don't see a box scraper on your profile.

If you can get more weight on the rear of the tractor, that would help. You might also try a set of tire chains.

I have a similar problem to clean up. I have 30+ year old visqueen on the ground with 6 inches of volcanic rock on top of it. I have been back blading it into piles with the FEL and then scooping it up. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login