Go Bottom

Tiller tines

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-28          128530

Has anyone here ever made their own tiller tines? May sound stupid but was wondering if anyone has done this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tiller tines

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-28          128532

excuse the...chuckle...but what precipitated that question? Safe to assume a libation was involved? ....

Tiller tines

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-29          128545

Looking at the different manufacturers for what I've seen of use and the job I've seen from them the best are heat treated and a smaller blade for going into the ground easier. The heavier or larger ones have more mass, wear faster and are tougher on the tiller and the tractor. ....

Tiller tines

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-29          128564

What brought this up was my heritage! As a half blooded Italian I resent that! (Damm, Just poked myself in the eye with my hand! while talking!)
Really though since I dont drink and I have more time on my hands than I have money and I went to the KK site and saw this
(((TILLER TINE SET 2PC
1 LH &1 RH TINE /W BOLTS

Price: $23.10 PK )))
I was floored! although when you buy the whole set of tines the price per piece drops but the kicker is the
nuts and bolts!
(((TILLER TINE BOLT (108PCS)
9/16-18X1.750/W NUT & WASHER

Price: $223.82 PK )))

here is the whole set

(((TILLER TINE SET 72IN
27R AND 27L

Price: $288.32 PK )))
$511.14 w/out tax for tines and bolts!
Geeesh! I only paid $1358 for the whole 72" KK tiller!
A guy would almost be better off buying anouther whole tiller for spare parts than too replace the tines!

Of course I am looking at this from a prospective of not having to pay for anything but the steel to build these.
I am able to harden them myself with no added cost.steel would run me close to $150 give or take unless I can come up with some scrap laying around or in the steel bins (of the right material of course)

Was just wondering if any have done this. Thanks
Art, I will keep that in mind.

Tiller tines

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-29          128567

Are you trying to make up for wear? If yes, then the easiest and cheapest way is to build the leading-edges up with hardfacing welding rod. My Case chain-type trencher (which is for sale) has cup-type teeth on it that are hardfaced and they are extremely wear-resistant. ....

Tiller tines

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-05-01          128666

Yeah, you will typically get bent over on hardware items for almost anything. They are cheap to buy in bulk for a manufacturer. But to pick, pack and sheip costs significant amount of money in labor. So yeah, it costs them manufacturer $.05 to buy, that bolt costs like $1 in labor to pick, pack and ship. Add in a healthy margin and you'll get bent over. Odds are you can buy cheaper hardware elswhere. ....

Tiller tines

View my Photos
Art White

2006-05-01          128671

Let's see, used tillers are rare in many areas. Maybe to sell yours for 750, then buy a new one? ....

Tiller tines

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-01          128674

Broken Arrow,

First, you almost killed me with your ranting above.

I had a step father who was depression era. Could teach you about saving anything. He had a gas tiller (not one for tractor but garden type that box store sells). The tines on it were mostly straight. Well when they wore down he slipped a piece of galvanized pipe over them (I think that is what he used) there were. They worked fine for him.

When you get the tine make down let me know. I need some points for a subsoiler I am having to trade out shanks on due to not being able to find points for it any longer. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login