Go Bottom

Grat market tillers

View my Photos
8x56mn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-06          140234

OK guys I'm going into uncharted territory. I have about thirty acres of old hay fields that I graze a couple of horses on and keep brush hogged, and would like to turn some into food plots for wildlife. I have a dealer that has been real good to me and has sold me all my implements for my Kubota B 2150. I am considering two options. One being a tiller. He carries new and used Yammers and such and has grey market tillers all sizes going for 800.00 with warranty. Secondly I'm considering the small disc units you see in Bass Pro and other places for around the same price. What advice can you give me as to what experience you have had with either? I don't think I will have to plow first with the disc in order to plant food plots, but the tiller will give me a better looking plot, but would probably have to have the neighbor plow it first.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Grat market tillers

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-03-06          140238

8x56mn; I don't know what kind of grass is in your pasture, but a tiller will do nothing but plug with roots and whatever is growing on top now, the little disc just isn't heavy enough to do much either. My suggestion would be to first spray the sod with Roundup after spring new growth gets a few inches high, then wait at least two weeks till the roots and all are dead, then if you have a farmer nearby with a mouldboard plow hire him to plow it then your tiller will work. I don't know how many acres you are proposing to till up, but more than two or three acres with a tiller is a BIG job. let the neighbor plow it then the little disc will penetrate well enough to have it ready to plant. Before you buy the tiller see if you can rent it for a day, I think you will be dissapointed in how little you can really get done in acres with a non commercial size tiller. Been there, done this. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Grat market tillers

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-06          140244

If I might add to Hardwood's suggestions, you may be able to burn the grass off to where you can work the ground. Roundup or such requires growing plant to work on. My guess is it is not growing currently.

I agree with him totally on you may find this much slower than you want depending on the amount you plan to work. If you are wanting many acres, I suggest you hire a farmer each year to disk it. Probably for the cost of the tiller or disk will cover that cost for a few years. Depending on the purpose of the food plots, if for hunting you may can trade hunting for the disking.

Grat market tillers

View my Photos
8x56mn

2007-03-07          140259

Thanks to everyone for the very good insight and advice. What I was planning on doing was ploting one or two strips mayby 100 yards long by 50 yards wide. I was hopeing to brush hog and then till. I'm glad I talked to you guys, as the testimonies of buyers of the disc's say that the lite discs just ate up the virgin ground, "no problem" got love em! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login