Go Bottom

Newbie Question on Ploughs

View my Photos
bobkro
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-22          147212

I'm new to the tractor business, and have a Kubota BX2350 SCUT for landscaping/lawn mainteance work. My first attempt at having new lawn area hydroseeded left me with nothing but weeds after 6 months. I believe the soil,which has a high clay content, was too compacted to permit proper root growth.

After looking at this site's posts for the last year on ploughs/tillers, I'm inclined to try a rotary tiller to prepare the soil for another shot at putting down seed this spring. I have about one half acre of ground to work.

Any problem with this approach, or do I need to use a different attachment to get deeper into the soil?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-22          147214

Bobkro; Have you tilled this soil before? Does it have rocks, roots. etc. that would give a tiller a hard time? If you don't plan to seed till spring I would somehow do some deep (6-8 inches) this fall then let it set over winter to mellow up. You may not need a tiller at all in the spring, perhaps a small spring tooth harrow or a drag type spike tooth harrow is all you will need to make a decent seedbed. A tractor your size is going to have a tough time with deep tillage, perhaps hire someone with a chisel plow or mould board plow for the deep tillage this fall. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-22          147215

That is very typical with new lawns. If the weeds are of the broad leaf variety you should be able to spray them or if you fertilize and water heavily while cutting the lawn taller, the grass will also choke some of them out.

Every time you stir the soil, new weed seeds will germinate. You may also see a decline in the weed population the 2nd year if you stop the weeds from going to seed.

A rototiller is a good method to break up the soil and start over, but as I've mentioned the weeds may also re-start. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login