Go Bottom

Roto Tiller Features

View my Photos
whstein
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-13          157848

The next implement purchase is a rototiller. My dealer sells Land Pride, Maschio and Sitrex. My questions are about forward rotation vs. counter rotation and shear pin vs. slip clutch models. My dealer favours favours forward rotation because of cost and less soil compaction and says they outsell counter rotation models by 20:1. He also favours shear pin models and says the slip clutch types require much more maintenance i.e. slip mechanism must be re-torqued every time you hit something that causes slippage and if left outside in the rain for an extended period of time; while shear pins can be quickly replaced in the field. He sells all types so it is not a matter of trying to get rid of in-stock inventory. What do you guys think. TIA. Wally Stein

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Roto Tiller Features

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-13          157850

I've got a Landpride 1558 forward rotation tiller with the slipclutch. Unless you are in really rocky/tree root conditions I woudn't walk away from a shear pin model. I bought the slipclutch model because it was on the tiller, it was an end of season purchase, and the money was right. When I bought mine the dealer had a reverse rotation model too. I'm absolutely guessing here, but I think a reverse rotation would work better in trashy conditions because the tines would throw the trash up over the rotating tines rather than wrap on them like a forward rotation machine will do. I'm pretty much a Landpride guy with all my attachments, they are a bit more in cost, but you'll never live long enough to destroy or wear one out. Frank. ....

Roto Tiller Features

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-13          157851

Don't know some of the answers but here are a couple of factors.

Some forward-spinning ones don't have a front guard, allowing you to see what's going on.

Eventually you'll have to replace a tine, so I'd check how easy it is. I like the kind where you just unbolt the digging end from the stub.

Since you can use the hitch to keep it shallow on the first pass, the longer or deeper the tines, the more versatile.

Roto Tiller Features

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-13          157854

I grew up using walkbehind forward spinning rototillers. I realize they're not the same animal as a tractor but thing is because they spin forward the tines want to take over if they hit an obstruction causing you to move ahead unexpectedly.

I do have a 6' wide power rake (think: high-speed rototiller having no tines but a drum with cabide tips on it). It's on a 33hp hydro. It counter rotates going forward. I've actually put the tractor in Neutral and it will pull me backward as if in gear. And even though it has a spring overload clutch, I have adjusted it so that is basically direct-drive (no slip). In my particular case it can take a lot power grinding through hard clay and I found the clutch was wearing and developing heat. ....

Roto Tiller Features

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-13          157861

EW; Even with the tiller on the 4310 I still do a shallow pass the first time over. We used to have a tiller on a Deere rider that would give you a thrill ride if you tried to go too deep the first pass. She would just get up and walk you across the garden at warp speed scaring the maltomeal out of you till you had the good sense to shut the tiller off. Another thought on a reverse rotation machine, what happens when they hook a rock ro a root? Do they sit there and jerk and yank till the slip clutch/shear pin gives or the rock/root comes up? ....

Roto Tiller Features

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-11-14          157871

whstein,
"forward rotation because of cost and less soil compaction and says they outsell counter rotation mode"

Like EW have not used tiller on tractor but the walkbehind I had was reverse rotation Troy Bilt. I do not believe there is MORE compation with the reverse rotation. If there is any difference it would have to be very little. I know the soil after the Troy Bilt went though it could not have been torn up any better and has been said it was smoother than a forward rotating tiller.

The question on the rocks, don't know, we don't have them.

The comment about trash wrapping around the tines and such, it has been a few years since I stopped with and sold my tiller but never remember that being an issue on the reverse rotation. Mine left a clean path. Would only consider a reverse rotation walk behind tiller after using one and watching step father and brother in law fight the foward rotation models. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login