Go Bottom

Tiller vs Plow and Disk

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-09          1611

I am seeking advice on what to buy to do gardening. I can get a 1 bottom plow and a 5' gang disk new for $660, or a 50" tiller for around $1000. Based on price and old fashioned farm technique, I am leaning toward the plow and disc.The extra time taken by the two step process are no problem to me. I am just wondering which may be better. Any opinions are appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tiller vs Plow and Disk

View my Photos
sc

1999-03-09          1613

The tillers out sell the the disc harrow and plows in our area (SE) 50 to 1.They usally do more tillage and leveling in one pass than a little light harrow does in 5 passes. Also they pull much easier than a plow and leave the sedbed as far closer to planting condition than either of the other tools.The tillers are more useful in lawn turf bare spot repair and landscaping "bedded areas" around the lawn.The serious gardener may desire to "turn over the soil" with a "bottom moldboard plow" then use the tiller to level up the seedbed.good luck..ps... remember to make sure your new tiller pto shaft is NOT TOO LONG when fully collasped. If it is, it will damage the pto housing of your tractor when in the fully raised position. ....

Tiller vs Plow and Disk

View my Photos

1999-03-15          1724

the plow will even help with the tiller but the disc is not the way to go as you will have roughly 50 lbs or less per foot of cut where the farmers in your area are useing a disc with 300lbs per foot. Time is not the only thing to look at unless you care to drive back and forth and just waste fuel as well as time. The tiller will give you better soil to seed contact by pulverizing the soil quicker. ....

Tiller vs Plow and Disk

View my Photos
michael c roehm

1999-03-28          2093

dear sir price check on 6hp engin for troybuilt tiller MCR ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login