Go Bottom

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
Henry McCreary
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-23          20809

I've got a great little 30 HorsePower JD 790 with a 70 Loader, a 60" Belly mower, and Turf Tires (no ballast). I'm in the market for a tiller. We've got some pretty nasty Central Pennsylvania clay / shale (can't hardly get a shovel into the stuff). Do I stand any chance of success by putting a tiller on a tractor with Turf tires? Will I just hopelessly bounce around and spin my tires? Will the weight of the loader be enough? Should I consider ag tires?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
David Waite

2000-10-23          20815

I live in central Pa, I use a 50" tiller on my MF1225. If you have a rotary tiller start slow and pick the big stones out as you go. If you have ground breaking like sod buster or disc you will need weight and r4 bar type tire. My turf tires will just spin 3 tires if I snag anything with the 5' blade. For snow I just bought chains for the front to keep it from sliding down hill in the soft snow. Good luck hope it helps ....

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-10-23          20818

Henry, don't worry about being able to pull a tiller with turf tires (unless you get one of the counter rotating tillers, which are pretty rare). Since the tines are turning the same direction as the tires, a tiller will actually propel a small lightweight tractor forward. They require almost no pulling power or traction. When I had a B7100 Kubota, if I put it in high range, the tiller would sometimes try to push the tractor forward, but I had no problem in low range. Now that I have a B2710, it's heavy enough the tiller doesn't push it forward. Try to get a tiller that's as wide or a little wider than the outside of your rear tires, i.e., one that will cover your tracks. Naturally, you might have a problem pulling a plow or disk in some conditions with turf tires, but not a tiller. ....

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
Todd

2001-01-26          23706

Henry,
Sorry I'm late on this thread, but given the season, it probably doesn't matter yet. I can't add to Bird's comments, except to say that we had our neighbor plow and harrow our garden before we tilled it. And we actually had somebody else till it before I got my kubota, so we were being nice to someone elses tiller.
Plowing let us get lots of 25+ pound rocks out that we never knew were there. A couple we needed the FEL to move. I suspect they would have eaten our friends tiller blades rather quickly. I could never pull a big plow with my B2710 and turfs, don't think you'll be able to either, but given what tillers cost, I think it's worth asking someone with a big tractor to plow and harrow a signifigant area once. If someone with more experience like Bird or Roger or those guys says don't bother, listen to them. Maybe I baby my toys too much.
Todd ....

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-01-26          23707

Of course, you're right, Todd. If you have big rocks, it sure would be better to get them out first because they could sure damage the tines on the tiller. And a turning plow (moldboard) or double buster would be the way to go first. ....

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2001-01-26          23709

I have plowed and harrowed my garden both with and without chains on my turf tires. I have a Cub Cadet 7265 (26hp, 4wd, hydro). It worked without the chains but it worked better with. I have a single bottom moldboard and a 6' disk harrow. Soil is pretty sandy, no rocks. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
DanaT

2001-01-26          23716

Henry,
I started out with a JD 755 20hp,4x4. it weighed just under 2000 LBS. with turf's. it had no problem with a 50" tiller. tilling plowed ground I needed the loader for extra weight, but no problem. It pulled a 5' disc and a 1-14" moldboard plow. it handled the disc fine (with loader on) I could plow 6" deep without any problems unless the top of the ground was loose or very trashy. no chains either. you will be fine. ....

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
Todd

2001-01-27          23744

Bird,
What's a double buster?
Todd ....

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-01-27          23745

Ooops, Todd, maybe it's better known as a "middle buster" than a "double buster" and also known in my area as a "bedder"; a plow that throws or turns the dirt both directions instead of just turning it over to the right. ....

Tilling with Turf Tires

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-01-30          23809

there should be no problems with tilling with turf tires. Take your time when making the first pass so not to break blades if you do have some shale coming up but that is normally brittle and tends to break easily compared to other rocks. The clay can be very slippery when wet and will definitely fill the tires, but that is not the time to be tilling! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login