Go Bottom

Tiller Rotation

View my Photos
JimTN
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-05          36119

Am considering 3ph tiller for use on 3 different tractors in our family: Kubota B7300, B2410 and Ford 2000. Want your experiences and thoughts about forward versus reverse rotation, and comments on brands / models.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tiller Rotation

View my Photos
David Waite

2002-03-06          36129

I have a worksaver tiller forward rotation. It works great. I think when you get them with a tractor forward or reverse doesnt matter as much because the tractor controls movement. If you have a reverse action I would think it would throw alot of dirt and stones on the tractor and driver. ....

Tiller Rotation

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2002-03-06          36130

Jim, my tiller, and the only tiller I've used on a tractor, is a forward rotation model; does as great job. However, I've used both forward and reverse rotation walk behind tillers. Some say the reverse rotation (or counter rotating) tillers do a better job in fewer passes. Maybe so, but I think the difference is minimal myself. I prefer the forward rotating tiller for a variety of reasons: (1) they're usually considerably cheaper to buy, for reasons that are a mystery to me, (2) the counter rotating tiller tended to leave a mound of dirt at the finishing end of the row, (3) if I hit a rock, brick, root, etc. with the forward rotating tiller, the tines are coming down on top of it and the tiller tends to just jump up and over - I've never damaged a tine yet. But with a counter rotating tiller the tines are coming at the obstacle from behind and below and I THINK there's a greater chance of breaking something (haven't done it so I won't say for sure). Personally, I think either type does a good job. ....

Tiller Rotation

View my Photos
MarkS

2002-03-06          36140

Bird good point about reverse rotation tillers. I own a Landpride 1558? I think thats the model, its the medium duty version with 58" width. It is a forward rotation and I have hit several 3-4" rock with it and the tiller jumps right over and spits the rock out the back without doing damage. I can't imagine what would happen with a reverse rotation. Seems like the obstacle would keep getting thrown back into the path of the tiller. But, I've also heard they do a better job than Forward rotaion do to the fact that it is always pushing tilled material forward thus effectivaley chopping it more. Never used one though so I personally don't know. ....

Tiller Rotation

View my Photos
steve arnold

2002-03-06          36142

Reverse tillers do go through more blades and will jam the right size rock between the roof and tines but I'll bet for most cases get to desired depth quicker due to digging action. For the aforementioned cost diff, increased maintenace and so on I would reccomed a forward tiller. my Landpride rtr2562 has (had) a rubber suspended steel rock and dirt deflector which eliminated thrown rocks/dirt. ....

Tiller Rotation

View my Photos
steve arnold

2002-03-07          36161

I have tilled a few gardens with mine and use that rock collecting feature as an advantage, once the parallel rows that make up the size of the garden are done, I'll make two perpendicular passes on the ends and tell the customer that all your rocks are in those two piles, they like that.

If the surrounding grass is nice, I'll finish the row and backup to start the next to avoid turning around in the grass that way there is only one perpendicular row and one pile of rocks (combined with soil of course). ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login