Go Bottom

King Kutter 48 quot tiller

View my Photos
MP
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-22          36619

I am looking for a 48" tiller for my John Deere 650 tractor. I like the chain drive king kutter model (USA made) but the minimum HP requirement is listed at 20HP. Has anyone used this model tiller with under 20HP? Am I looking for trouble with this tiller and my 15HP tractor? Any comments on 48" Caroni ( listed range 15-40HP, chain drive) or 48" Sicma (kioti) tillers ( 20-35HP range, chain drive)
(Made in Italy)? All three are the same price with slip clutch ( $999)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Sean Donovan

2002-03-28          36828

Think long and hard about running that tiller on a smaller tractor. I used a gear drive tiller same size on an Allis 5015 {15 hp 3 cylinder tractor} and it snapped the pto after about 7 hours of use. (I hit a few roots and the tiller bogged the tractor with deep tilling if you went to fast, I like it b/c the tractor had a "crawl gear" (.25km/hour in first! You gotta go really slow to till well.)
You might be able to pull it off if you set your friction clutch on the loose side and make sure it really slips if the tiller bogs down.

good luck
Sean ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-29          36835

It's a little tough adjusting a slip clutch that's designed for a heavier PTO drive. A shaft with a shear pin known to be appropriate for the PTO might be good insurance. That way, the slip clutch can be adjusted just loose enough to keep from breaking shear pins.

It's fairly common to use implements where the tractor underpowers them. There are risks, but as Sean noted, slow ground speeds and smaller bites helps. However, there's a possibility that the tractor may not power a tiller in heavy soil to its max depth even at very slow ground speeds. Mechanical integrity is part of a manufacturer’s recommended min HP, but happy customers is another part. A manufacturer wouldn’t want somebody to buy their product, have it take forever to do a job and then have a customer bad-mouthing’ them for years. However, an informed customer can make a decision to go slower than the manufacturer thinks they should and still be happy as long as they accept the risks of mechanical damage.

Tillers don't have the same inertia as rotary cutters, but cutters that are big for a tractor are hard on PTO clutches whether or not they break anything. I’d probably look for one where the recommended min HP was closer to the tractor PTO HP.

View my Photos
JimTn

2002-03-29          36861

Might be worth your while to check out the BEFCO Till Rite Side-shift Rotary Tillers.
I bought a BEFCO Flail Mower and it seems very well built. ....

Link:   BEFCO, Inc.

View my Photos
VTdlr

2002-03-31          36924

I have distributed KK tillers since their inception. I have sold over 300. We get nothing but praise about how well these tillers hold up and till. We stock replacement parts but have sold virtually none yet. $ for $, these are the best value out there. your 650 will run it no problem ....

View my Photos
Smahler

2003-02-11          49047

I used to have a 78 Kubota B6000 with just 12.5 gross HP and it had a kubota (woods) 40" tiller - worked great. Certainly no shortage of power, even in hard clay. Twice I broke a shear pin on the tiller, and made sure to run a very light shear pin to protect the PTO and tranny. I would think your JD should spin a 48" just fine. ....

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2003-02-22          49797

A gear drive 49" CCM tiller is your ticket. ....

Link:   Gear Drive tillers

Picture Link

Go Top

Share This

Member Login