Go Bottom

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
LarryC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-18          37585

My new KK tiller has a slip clutch on the PTO, the manual is pretty vague on the adjustment for the spring tension on the bolts. Does anyone know a correct measurement for the springs as a starting point, maybe they were preset at the factory but I have learned to always second guess factory settings.Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
rlw

2002-04-20          37677

Here is what I did.
I loosened all the bolts and made sure the clutch spinned just to make sure it wasn't frozen-up. Then I tightened each bolt until the spring was just being compressed. Then used a torque wrench to tighten each bolt an equal amount. I think I started with about 35 inch pounds. Note: INCH-lb not FOOT-lb. Then went out and started tilling and watched for any slipping. If was slipping in "easy" soil, then hopped off tractor and tightened each bolt a little more with the torque wrench. It's an itterative process the first time. I'll write down the final torque value and then the next time I'll know were to start. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-21          37679

I've heard that the adjustments are pretty vague. I've also heard of slip clutes seizing while in storage, but it's definitely not a good idea to grease the plates.

Adjusting the clutch tension upward to a seemingly good point should work, especially if the implement is weaker than the PTO drive and clutch. With a tiller the right size for the tractor, I imagine that would be true, but it's good to be clear about whether the clutch is intended to protect the tiller or the tractor. There's a recent story elsewhere from somebody who thinks they tore up their PTO drive because a grade-8 bolt was used for a shear pin. I don't think the implement was a tiller though.

For myself, I'd probably be happier if the PTO shaft had a shear pin as well as a slip clutch--that’s the story about a conservative gentleman who wore braces and a belt I guess. The pin would be appropriate for the tiller or the tractor which ever is weakest. Then, I could reason that the purpose of the slip clutch is to keep from breaking shear pins. I could keep torquing up the clutch until pins started breaking and then back off a bit. Or alternatively start off tight and then back off until pins stopped breaking.

The main thing is that I think slip clutches are designed to protect against shock loads such as hitting something. A clutch probably isn't going to last long if it slips a lot during ordinary operation. However, there may be little choice in a situation where a tractor is large for the implement. High HP tractors are certainly capable of destroying light implements. In such a case, the purpose of a clip clutch would be to protect an implement from the tractor.

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
LarryC

2002-04-22          37696

Iknew better but started with the factory settings, hung on a rock and stalled the tractor, backed off spring tension 1/4 turn, hung again but was used to the tiller noise and pushed in clutch in time to not stall it. Backed off tension 1/4 turn and continued until I wedged a rock between the tine and deck which stalled the tractor, removed the rock and backed off tension 1/4 turn and continued uneventful the rest of the job.
I thought I would measure the springs, then take apart the clutch to assure it's not frozen,it has no rust or corrosion on it but to be sure I would rather replace tiller parts all day long rather than a PTO shaft or gear on my L2550. I would add I ploughed and disked before I tilled but was amazed at what a good job the tiller did as I heard a lot of horror stories on rock after rock hanging in tractor tillers. Tahanks for the input.

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
BobTheFarmer

2002-04-22          37697

Kind of off the subject but I have seen these KK tillers at TSC and the run about 999.00. I was wondering how they compare to the other models. The price seems right as a landpride the same size runs about double the cost. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-22          37698

It is good to loosen the slip clutch every yearand allow it to slip, and then retighten it. Years ago and it does depend on the type of clutch but about 1/8 to 1/4 of the noncompressed length seems to be about right as a rule of thumb but there are variables there as far as the type of spring and the type of coils. As stated earlier 35 inch pounds would be too loose for a tiller but might be right for a conveyor drive. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
LarryC

2002-04-23          37735

Bob, I looked at a lot of tillers and being a hobby farmer decided the cost of some as prohibitive being as I wouldn't utilize it enough to justify the cost gardening and landscaping. The KK is 60" gear driven and looks to be as sturidly built as most, I have a lot of rocks on my place so I was concerned about this but the only one that hung in the tiller was a large flat one it just spits the small ones(baseball size) out the back. I haven't tried it on unplowed soil yet but I have to till a space for my wife's new raspberrie plants this afternoon so we'll see how it does. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
BobTheFarmer

2002-04-23          37737

Keep me informed how it goes. I too am just a hobby farmer and have little to do but still don't want to have an extra piece of rusting metal on my property after a year or two. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
dh

2002-04-23          37748

I just bought the 60" KK tiller and used it to till ground that had not been plowed in years. (20 or more) Went through like butter, just had to go slow. Did a great job and like others have said spit the small rocks out the back. I doubt if you will be sorry with a KK tiller. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
BobTheFarmer

2002-04-23          37749

Can you tell me what HP you had to drive the KK tiller? ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
LarryC

2002-04-25          37808

Bob, I have an older L2550 with 29HP, I think it's around 25 at the PTO and had more than enough power as long as I started out slow at the beginning of the row and lowered it gradually. As I mentioned my field was plowed and disked but I tried it on bare ground for my wife's blueberry patch and it worked just as well. If I had an acre or more that hadn't been worked awhile I would plow it first I think. The KK I got at TSC for 999.00 which was cheap considering it's gear-driven, I'm satisfied with it but I have yet to get the slip clutch to squeal so Im taking it apart this afternoon. I wouldn't recommend you use one untill you are sure the clutch is slipping, anything can be broken but the unit is beefy my main concern is the PTO shaft and gear (big bucks if you shear one of these. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
BobTheFarmer

2002-04-25          37814

Thanks, we have a TSC here actually just opened and I saw them on the lot. They look to be built pretty sturdy! ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
dh

2002-05-20          38811

My tractor is a tc25d. About 21 hp at the pto. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-05-20          38825

I've found several links on the web pertaining to adjusting slip clutches. First, most of them mention that you should measure the length of the springs to the nearest 1/64" and record it. Next you should back off all bolts and see if the clutch slips easily. If it does then you should bring the nuts in to touch the springs and tighten the nuts 2/3 turn (There's some inconsistency here but this is the norm) and do some normal work with the equipment. Then continue tightening the nuts 1/3 turn at the time until the slipping stops under normal conditions. Measure the springs and bring them all to the same length by backing off some and tightening some.

Also, most all places state that you should contact the dealer or manufacturer for original spring length, free and compressed. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
Marc

2002-05-20          38837

I have adjusted clutches many times in the field and never measured, used a torque wrench, just guessed. I never had a problem other than having them freeze when not in use. I have found that in order to save the equipment adjustments must be done in variuos conditions. This saves me many chains on preseeders and harley rakes when they suck up a big rock. Seeded 10 acres of demo material last week and had the clutch so loose it would slip even if it was tilling to much "soil". I only broke one chain when it sucked up a 4 foot piece of angle iron. ....

Tiller Slip Clutch

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-05-21          38863

I think that's the way most of us adjust them but, Larry did ask for the measurements and how to do it properly. I measure mine from time to time when I have them free to ensure that I haven't had some spring collapse. I have had to replace some over time because they had gotten weak. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login