Go Bottom

Ploughs

View my Photos
lakeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-14          59477

I am looking at picking up a used 2 bottom plough. I know very little about them. What should I look for. I spoke to a dealer and a new one with couliers? cost 1200 dollars. What are coultiers? Aren't all ploughs created equal?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ploughs

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-14          59485

There are differences. Some old ones you might not even be able to get the wearing parts for. Some have a break-a-way on the bottom so they don't break the bottom. Some have auto reset, some don't. ....

Ploughs

View my Photos
ahannay
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-08          63414

Coulters are the sharp, flat disks that precede the plow share. eir job is to cut through the trash in the field so the shear can get a better grip. They can be raised and lowered depending on what they must cut through. They are nice to have on a plow, but with just a little trash in a field, the plow will work without them.

What you really need to look for is a plow with good, newish shares. These bolt on the plow, and come in iron or steel. Most of the used plows you see need new ones, as they're worn down or busted off by rocks. You can order new ones, depending on the make of plow you buy. I have a Ford 2 bottom and ordered a new pair of shares -- $70 a piece. The difference was amazing. A proper new pair of shares gets sucked down deep, and the furrow rolls over nice.

By the way, don't get a new 2 bottom from places like TSC. They're not really designed to do real work. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login