Go Bottom

new tiller user

View my Photos
jklmnugent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-06          70409

Hello everyone. Just took delivery of a LandPride RTA 1532 tiller. Have a JD 790 and had 3-way rear hydraulics added at purchase reasoning that with my mix of slopes I would enjoy tractor life much more. My questions center around set-up and use. Do I need to adjust skid shoes? Do I even need skid shoes to control depth? Lots of wondering going on in my mind about depth settings, downforce to apply etc. Would appreciate any tiller wisdom. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

new tiller user

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-06          70414

First off, welcome to CTB! I have the Land Pride 1558 tiller. I would suggest if you haven't already; reading the entire operator's manual and familiarizing your self with specs., servicing, and adjustments. I strongly recommend that you go through and check ALL adjustments and oil levels/grease fittings. When I got mine home, I found the oil level was very low and needed nearly a quart of oil to top off. None of the grease fittings were greased and I found a few bolts/fasteners not torqued to spec. or a little loose. I also verified drive chain tension. I set the skid shoes for maximum depth of the tiller. Even at that setting, it won't go much deeper than about 10" -12". Do not apply any down force or add weight. You just have to go slow and let the tiller cut its way in the soil. I have ehydro so I can set the cruise control for a snails pace creep. In case you did not realize, Land Pride offers the owner's manual and part manual for its equipment on line on its web site. I find it alot easier to read on my computer and being able to do a text word search is nice too. The owner's manual was pretty straight forward about the setup and I found the tiller did a VERY good job. I would strongly suggest pressure washing all the dirt/roots/debry off the tiller tines after you use it and spray them with preservative oil or lineseed oil. Nice tiller you got there! Enjoy. ....

new tiller user

View my Photos
jklmnugent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-06          70444

Thanks Chief. I did download the manual in advance of delivery. The dealer has uncrated the tiller and has done initial oil fill and lubrication. I will regardless give it a good looking over before I try it for the first time and check torques to specs. ....

new tiller user

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-08          70525

I forgot to mention the slip clutch run in procedure. Depending on how long the tiller you are purchasing has been setting outside (if it has). The slip clutch can become rusty and not properly slip when needed if not run in. Review the procedure in your owner's manual. Basically is it more or less releasing the plate pressure and running the pto allowing the clutch pack to slip and wear in the rust or corrosion. It is important especially if you are going to till soil that has not been tilled for long periods of time or lots of rocks. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login