Go Bottom

TSC 58 quot tiller

View my Photos
Larry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-30          7479

I just purchased a tiller from Tractor Supply Company. It is rated to 40 hp and 58" working width. I strongly suspect this is the same tiller marketed as the Befco T40-158. Does anyone know who actually makes this tiller? How much does a Befco T40-158 cost? I paid $1000 plus tax for the TSC tiller and will be using it on my JD 4100.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

TSC 58 quot tiller

View my Photos
Craig

1999-08-30          7483

I cannot answer your question, but I have considered buying the same tiller for my 4100. Please let me know how it works. ....

TSC 58 quot tiller

View my Photos
Larry

1999-08-30          7484

So far all I have had time to do is assemble the thing and till a 25 foot length. It worked just fine but installing the PTO drive shaft was a real challenge. The tiller manual shows how to shorten the drive shaft if it is too long. I will probably shorten mine by 2 inches. I have nice soil and the tractor did not seem to notice when I tilled at maximum depth. The unit weighs 451 lbs. and the front of the tractor did become noticibly lighter when the tiller was raised. I really like the ease of offsetting the tiller. If you do buy one make sure you also buy the connecting pin and lynch pin for the center arm of the 3 pt. hitch. The tiller does not come with this pin. The dealer I bought it from threw them in for free. It is a cat. 1 pin. ....

TSC 58 quot tiller

View my Photos
Larry

1999-08-31          7525

I ended up shortening the pto drive shaft by 3 inches. What a difference in connecting the thing. After reading the bottom of page 23 of the tiller manual I consider myself lucky that I did not damage the tractor or the tiller before shortening the pto drive shaft. I strongly recommend shortening the pto drive shaft before hooking the TSC tiller to your 4100. ....

TSC 58 quot tiller

View my Photos
Bryan

1999-09-01          7547

The tiller is made by Befco. It isn't as nice as the "Befco" labled models. I bought one thru Central Farm and Tractor for $800. It is shear pin protected. ....

TSC 58 quot tiller

View my Photos
Larry

1999-09-01          7556

Bryan, Sounds like you got a far better price than I did. The reason I wondered who made the tiller is because there was a tag attached to it that said "Attention Befco dealers" and then some further instructions. This lead me to believe that perhaps the tiller was also being shipped to Befco dealers from some other source. ....

TSC 58 quot tiller

View my Photos
Larry

1999-09-03          7636

I finally got a chance to give the tiller a good work out today. It did a very nice job but I had to go extreemly slow. I might add that I was tilling in lawn clippings, wood chips, and shredded garden plants to include corn stalks. The tractor and tiller did not complain. I believe that for $1000 less and occasional use that this is a good tiller. Less than half price, acceptable job, and the plants will never know what label was attached. Seems like a good deal to me. ....

TSC 58 quot tiller

View my Photos
mario

1999-10-11          8696

Hi LarryI got a Howse 57" from CT Farm And Family for just under 1K $. I have been using it quite a bit the past few days and it is great. Only problem is that it kicks dirt up under the top cover. Not a big problem as the bit of extra weight does not hurt. The thing is very heavy ( estimate it at 700 Lbs +).My 30 Hp (25 pto) tractor has no problem breaking sod with it. mario ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login