Go Bottom

Gear driven tiller

View my Photos
Tom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-09-06          7702

I am new as a tractor owner and am interested in purchasing a 48" tiller for my 27 horsepower tractor. A coulpe of people have told me that I should only buy a gear driven one since the chain drive model's chains break easily. What are some opinions from you guys that have experience?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Gear driven tiller

View my Photos
dana

1999-09-07          7705

TomI have a landpride 15-50 (50") It has #80 chain as long as it is kept tight I don't belive it would break, Unless its not runnimg in gear oil. Ihave not had any probelms with it. ....

Gear driven tiller

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-09-08          7753

Not necessarily a direct relation to your question, but people probably favor gears over chains, for two major reasons: Maintainance & adjustment. "Pound for pound", chain drives are stronger than gear drives, but this strength can quickly deteriorate if maintainance isn't a priority. Looking at a gear to gear surface area,then looking at a chain to sprocket surface area. Short of the "weakest link" you will easily see why chain "can" be the stronger of the two. Chain is lighter and usually less costly to repair/replace. Chains are more of a safety issue, due to a "minimum" of 2 pinch points and possible backlash when the chain breaks. Chains do handle abuse better in that they can operate with almost no lubrication, and other than excessive wear, they will usually keep going. Gears tend to overheat and "freeze up". Gears are virtually maintainance free, and require minimal or no adjustments. Unless excessive dirt/water/heat has been introduced, gears degrade very slow and require minimal or no fluid changes. All of that said, my vote goes to the Gear, I don't enjoy lubing chains and adjusting chain tension. Oh, and chains are usually noisier than gears. ....

Gear driven tiller

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

1999-09-12          7894

When a few years ago I bought a Kobuta B6100 4WD tractor, among the implements that came with it was a Kobuta FL850 Rotavator. I think the differnece between a Rotavator and a Rotary tiller is that a Rotavator has "L" shaped tines and a Rotary Tiller has curved tines. I think that compared to Rotary Tiller a Rotavator is far superior. Everybody told me that a geared Rotavator or Rotary Tiller is better than one with a chain drive but Kobuta FL850 came with a chain drive immersed in gear oil bath. It has been about 4 years and chain drive has never troubled me although I have never even adjusted it. I just top off gear oil and it has worked wonderfully well apart from the hinges of the back cover which had to replaced many times until I got some very heavy duty hinges from a scrape merchant who had taken off the hinges of a very haevy steel safe and melted the rest. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login