Go Bottom

Slip Clutch

View my Photos
DonBurrell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-03          78677

Now I have bought a King Kutter tiler. It came with a slip clutch from the MFG. The worry is that there are no springs on the clutch to adjust the tension. The guy that sold it to me said this is the latest model of slip clutches.
I am going to have to make a call to the MFG to verify this. Long distant calls are eating me alive.
Maybe someone else has seen this new clutch ??????????????????????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Slip Clutch

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-04          78736

It'd be interesting if somebody has seen this new type clutch. The spring types do require somewhat mysterious adjustments and also corrode and don't slip if they aren't maintained. There actually might be a better mousetrap here. ....

Slip Clutch

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-04          78753

Don, I'm not sure if the design is a new one or not, I have an old Ford Bush-hog which is equipped with a non-spring slip clutch. The dealer tells me it was made in the late 50's.

It has a set of steel plates which are compressed together by a large lock-nut, the tighter the nut is turned, the more force needed to make it slip, and vice-versa. One side of the clutch is connected to the input shaft on the BH, the driveshaft connects to the other. It works very well and parts are still available at the dealer.

Best of luck. ....

Slip Clutch

View my Photos
DonBurrell

2004-03-04          78763

Murf,
Thanks for the info. It is a brand new model according to King Kutter. It looks like it maybe less maint. There are no springs to lose tension etc. I was always used to seeing the spring models. I guess I will try it and see what happens. Our woods are a couple of hours away and I was concerned if it broke was it a stock item. I think you helped answer my Question... ....

Slip Clutch

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-04          78766

Don, they are about as simple to setup as falling off a log is.

The only thing you need to watch is if they don't spin free every now and then, and / or they live outside, a little rust can develop and seize them solid by adding too much friction to the mix. My dealer advised me to lock the gearbox end with a bar and ease the clutch up to SLOWLY spin a revolution or two and wipe off any rust prior to use if it had sat for long.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login