Go Bottom

Tiller lubricant - Green

View my Photos
hinoe2804
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-28          81402

I have a Yanmar RSC - 1601 and went to change the lubricant the other day and drained out the strangest looking oil I've ever seen. It still seemed to have lubricating properties but I've never seen anything like it. I'm not sure if its bad or just a type of oil I've never seen (looked like guacamole green). It isn't brownish (like it has water in it) and I checked both resevoirs with the same observation. I'm pretty sure that it is the original lubricant form Japan. I can make out on the labels that the lubricant needed is "#90" which I assume is 90 weight gear oil. I guess it might be some kind of "Moly" additive. Any ideas anyone?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tiller lubricant - Green

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-28          81408

Well it is a little hard to analyse oil over the internet. I have seen gear oil go green with water if there are brass bearing or shims in the drive line (marine work). I would just replace it with a good synthetic 90 weight gear oil. If you are back in the paddies I might us a marine gear oil. ....

Tiller lubricant - Green

View my Photos
hinoe2804
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-29          81517

Thanks for the input. I've seen some strange gook come out of my outboard gear box but it was clumpy, this was smooth as regular oil. I went ahead and put 90# in the "side chamber" (I assume it contains the chain from the main shaft to the tiller shaft). I checked the lubricant in the main gear box that is directly connected to the PTO shaft input and it is the same color and viscosity. I ran the tiller for about two hours the other day and no "weird noises" yet. If any one else has any info it is appreciated. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login