Go Bottom

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
imtools
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-07          82364

I bought an Italian made 48" tiller from Tarheel and I am quite impressed with its performance. When it first arrived, it looked too big for my 16 PTO HP tractor but it works great.
The question I have is how do I set the slip clutch? Right now, it doesn't slip-if it hits a substantial root, it stalls the tractor (is this damaging to a diesel engine?). Is it set merely by trial and error?
Paul

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-09          82580

Typically there is no "setting up" involved. Your slip clutch merely takes the palce of a shear pin. It's unlikely you will ever even use the clucth as you aren't running that great of HP or torque to overcome the clutch (that's why your engine stalled). I have a slip clutch on my 6' wide power rkae and the clutch rarely slips--like yours my engine will stall first and I'm running 33 HP. To verify if the clutch has been slipping, it should be warm to the touch (friction). Norammly it would be ambient temperature. ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-04-09          82585

Slip clutchs can freeze up and not slip after long periods of non use.
To initially set up the clutch on my tiller, I loosen it way up so it will slip, put the tiller in the ground and make sure the clutch slips.
I then slightly tighten the clutch, if it slips to easy I tighten each bolt about 1/2 turn at a time till it only slips when it should.
Each spring after long non use periods I will loosen the clutch, counting the number of turns (so I can return it to the same position), make sure the clutch slips, reset to previous position.

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-09          82592

ok if you want to possibly snap your pto shaft or strip some gears earthwrks is right. dk35vince is on the right track your ops manual sould tell you what your torqe or spring lengh should be. the is slipping the cluch and burnish the clutch. what dk described is more along the line of burnishing yuo back it off just nough to make it slip but still have a load on it. witch should be done at the start of every season. The dealer should have sliped it before delivery. that is done by loosening the bolts to where you cand spin it with no load on the tractor. ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-09          82594

oh yeah every thing should be in your ops manual. what brand of tiller is it if you cant find the specs i probably can or what kind of drive line is on it that would be on the shild some where are your u joints black or yellow along with your shied color would all be helpful ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-10          82620

I've never figured out why tillers that use slip clutches don't also have shear bolts in the pto shaft. Seems like a good idea to have a bolt that protects the drive and a clutch that protects the bolt so they don't have to be replaced in the field. Oh yes, I hear that greasing a slip clutch to keep it from rusting is a no no. ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-10          82657

yes that is right, would you grease the brakes on your car? ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-04-10          82663

oneace:
Do you ride your clutch on a manual trans when under load? If you do, that is what you are doing with a slip clutch. It is only there as a fail-safe----not as constant torque-limiter or torque convertor in the true sense--hence my comparison of shear-pin. If you think about it, a shear pin reacts nearly instantly to destructive load--a slip clutch has to first overcome friction then release. By them it could be too late. Setting the clutch to release under less stress only causes you to lose power to the ground.

The best indication of power getting to the ground is engine performance (sound, lugging, etc.) There is no way to know if the clutch is set-up right--that's called a destructive test--by the time you figure it out it's burned up. ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-10          82665

o.k. may be you dont know but i work on tractors and implements all day every day new and used. there are engenires that all they do is play with slip clutches. so in your ops book there are one of two things either a bolt torqe or a spring length, and a slip clutch never releases it SLIPS thats why it is called a slip clutch. With a proporly ajusted clutch it will SLIP just before stall load. Most slip cluches are made by bandalli so if you needs spects. to set your's let me know. other wise i'll see you when you strip you pto drive gears!!! ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-04-10          82666

Having a slip clutch improperly set up that stalls the engine at full power before it releases when hitting something solid like a rock, large root, Etc. is useless.
May as well have no protection at all.
When my slip clutch is set up just right it only slips when it does hit a solid object.
When that happens the clutch does slip, the clutch does get hot, but thats why I have it on there. To protect my exspensive gear boxes.
A slip clutch is easy and cheap to repair, gearboxes, transmissions and PTO's are not. ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-10          82668

i'm glad to see somebody else that know something. You are 100% right dk ....

Tiller slip clutch

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-11          82712

I imagine that a slip clutch adjusted right also would make a pto clutch last longer, which would be a lot less expensive. Some limitation of power isn't such a bad thing and big cutters do blow pto clutches.

A little more detail is that I believe that it's a good idea to not repeatedly break shear pins. I assume that virtually all shafts have them. I've heard that over time the pin holes can become dished and then the pins don't break instantaneously, nor do they if the pin bolts aren't tight. I also grease mine every year--I don't break many but well then there is my auger. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login