Go Bottom

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
trbomax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-01          84913

Been looking at this tiller, and it really looks overbuilt.Will be useing it on a TC35DA. How much does this monster weigh? I thought about leaving it on for a fel counterweight as well.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-05-01          84917

The King Kutter 72" tiller weighs around 780 LBS.
I've had a KK 60" tiller for 4 or 5 years now,I have used it quite a bit, tills great with no problems ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
trbomax

2004-05-01          84928

Thats what I wanted to hear.Do you think added weight would benifit this tiller? I'd like 1000# or so on the rear,and 300# more would be easy to add. ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-05-01          84929

If you want more weight added for rear ballest maybe you could add more weight.
But for tilling extra weight is not needed.
I tilled a couple gardens for co-workers of mine yesterday evening and had forgotten just how well my KK tiller works.
Gave it a fresh coat of paint today.

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-07          105697

DK35
(Or anyone else)
I will buy a KK soon. Should of bought the darn thing last year!!!!Was playing the game hopeing steel would come down but looks like I lost that one! Oh well?
Question for all?
I have the TC40 (35 pto) Would really like to get the 72" model but could live with a 60". I see the hp ratings for these two are spit right at the mid section of my hp
25-40 and 35-50. Any suggestions? Do you think the 72" would be a bit much for the tc40? It would be nice to have it cover my tracks. Personelly from my experiance with the tc40 it is more than beefy and probably has the poer to do the larger of the two but I have NO PRACTICAL experiance with this tiller nor do I know anyone that has one. Any help would be appreciated!
I can say this. I bought the woods 6ft mower last year and was cutting 4' tall timothy and weeds with it. Absolutely NO problem at all infact I was getting a good cut in mid range but 2nd gear. I had heard from many that I may be pushing it with that cutter but my dealer talked me into the larger. He was right! Fact is that the boys in our test and training center told me that it would be too large for the tc40! Boy it sure pays to ask the right guys cause I told my dealer that and he laughed. Infact to tell you the truth (and dont rip on the dealer cause he is the best IMO) When he delivered the cutter with the tractor I was floored! I had been waffleing between the two sizes 72" and 60". I had told him to bring the 60" (which has a pin and not a slip clutch) This guy (my dealer) pulled up after a 90 mile drive with the 72". He told me that he could not in good faith sell me the 60". He said that I would not be happy with it. I know he made more money on the larger but I really do feel he did it because of the fact that he knew what I was planning to use it for, he knew my operations and the size of land I have, he knew it would not cover my tracks and he knew my tractor had the guts for this cutter. After the initial shock that I was in because he had the guts to make that decision for me, I was real glad! ( I really wanted the bigger better cutter but was cheaping out) After I ran it! I was totally happy and 100% glad he made that executing decision for me LOL>
SO here I am asking you guys for some more help. Any ideas or opinions?
Thanks alot ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-02-07          105698

In my opinion with 35 PTO HP you should be fine with the 72" tiller.
With a gear tractor the size of tiller it will run depends on HP, and gearing (how slow is your lowest gears).
With 35 PTO HP, if your lowest gearing is less than 1 MPH you should fine. The slower the tractor is geared, the less HP you will need to run the tiller. ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-08          105711

The TC40 has a 12x12 gear box andthe ranges are awesome. From highway speeds to the slowest of slow (actually way to slow is the lowest gear. I can't believe I was so stupid as to NOT buy that tiller last year when I knew I was needing one! Last time I checked the standard sale price was $1300 ($1295) and the normal price is around $1400. I could of bought this tiller last Feb. for $1095 on sale but have seen it for less so I was waiting for the steel market to stabalize. If you remember last year I had a post about steel prices in march! Asking if any thought the price would drop again LOL. DAHH!! I did not live by my old moddo of buy what you can today because tomarroo you may not afford it. Guess tomarroo has finally come for me and I am with out that tiller. LOL ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-02-08          105714

You will like those really slow gears for tilling. It will till better and the slower speeds will take less power to run the tiller at full depth.

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-08          105723

Sounds like a GOOD job for the kid? LOL After mowing about 2 acres last year I handed the controll to him. Fun for awhile but gets old fast. Is there a depth controll on the tillers? The deeper I go the more rocks that need to be picked. I only need 5-6" ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-08          105724

Guys,
Last fall I was looking at a LandPride 60" I think and the price tage was around 2600.

The KK 72" is around 1400??????
And this is a nice built tiller not some kind of cheapo?

Sounds too good to be true! ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-02-08          105739

brokenarrow,
There are skid shoes on the tiller that can be moved up or down to control the tilling depth. ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-08          105740

I have NO first hand knowlege of tillers. All I can go by is what I read and hear. A reputation usually sticks with repetative bad products. That being said, I also am a firm believer in this. Many owners of a certain brand of anything will never bad mouth something they buy. Anouther certain percentage of owners will tell you the straight skinny on their purchases good or bad. These are the guys who you need to seek out and weed out the others. IMO what I just said is fact. Some will never tell you they are unhappy with something they bought for what ever reasons: pride, embarresment, the told you so syndrom or even the "I have a better one than you" theory.
I, on the other hand go out of my way to say exactly what I feel. If I look like a fool for doing or buying something I can rectify it by helping someone else NOT make the same mistake as me. Ok. now that we got that out of the way and you always should remember that here is my conclusion on the KK tiller. This comes from 1 year of research and questioning others.
I have NEVER heard the tiller put down in any way shape or form EXCEPT!! Except for the paint. This is on going with KK on all their equipment. Good paint is cool but not worth 1K more. If you can find one person who owns a KK tiller and will tell you they wish they nought a better version I would like to hear his/her reason. Not that I dont believe them but because I have yet to hear one bad thing about their tiller. Maybe there is a possibility that with tillers there are NO ways around making them cheap and also have them perform long enough to keep a customer happy. I dont know?
I am very happy with my KK box disk I bought. So far it has held up to some serious rock hits (actually inmovable boulders and has not bent dented or chipped (except the paint, even from the factory it had some bad spots. I went with a Woods rotory cutter. Only because of the slip clutch and the gaurds that are on it. I have not heard anything bad about their cutters either.
Yes their are some eguipment they sell that are just not beefy enough for what they are intended to do for any length of time but IMO unless you are a contractor and plan to use all the time there is no way in hell I would spend even as little as $500 more for a name product just to have that paint on it.
I think the key to this board here is that most guys are upfront and honest. That is what we need to get and make sound decisions. The only spin on what I just said IMO is that if money is not a concern then of course I would buy a quality name brand like JD or Woods etc. You will get your money worth I think anyway but if your in a situation like many of us here, there is no way when we are talking tillers that I would buy anything else. Remember this is only from what I have heard and read.

Anyone reading this that has had a bad experiance with this tiller, PLEASE chime in! I would like to know before I go and buy this tiller soon.

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-08          105742

Broken,
Keep us up to date on your purchase.
Good Luck,
Brian ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-02-08          105747

I have owned my King Kutter tiller for 5 years.
I like it !!
If I were buying another tiller today, it would most likely be another King Kutter.

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
plots1

2005-02-08          105803

I don't have the tiller but a few other of the tool's and for the price I don't think they can hardly be beat. perfect for me as I'm pretty hard on them and they just take all I dish out. Also I'm a guy that could wreck an Iron ball. ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-09          105813

LOL, I knew that Plots
I just got back from a drive by of farm and fleet.
(KK dealer here) No endorsement just the only dealer nearby.
Holy crap! 6' model now $1565. !! OMG!!! (had to throw that one in for my 2 younger daughters LOL)
Its a good thing I wont need it till May, hopefully (and I am sure they will) they will go on sale between now and then. Figure I will get it for around $1395. Last time I checked on the same unit I think it was in Oct. it was in the $1400+ range. I might just bite the bullet if they come out with a credit program no interest and payment till ???when ever. I am thinking of buying all the equipment on my wish list if this happens. I am thinking that steel is only going to go up ( right now am a bit ashamed of myself for not buying last year) So here I sit, NO job and not enough equipment for what I would like. (Not complaining about no job, yes I could go out and get one anytime but then I lose my health insurance. Dont sound that bad maybe beacuse I could get on the new places insurance you say? Maybe so but I have a pre exsiting condition right now and it is still up in the air. They found three lumps in my chest on outside of lung and dont know if malignant or not. They apparently grew from 3mm to 4mm in the last 4 months although that could be a mistake cause 1mm is hard to tell) I am waiting on a cat scan in June to tell the tale. I only posted that so I dont get slammed for saying I cant get anouther job LOL)
Anyway, $1565 for the 6' model? Still not bad and they do look pretty beefy.
Darn!!! Can't wait for spring to break I am getting itchy to get dusty muddy and dirty again! ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
plots1

2005-02-09          105869

Hay broken, I forgot to ask if you knocked out any good whitetales over the season.I was going to ask a week ago but thought you were going to sit out awhile . good to see you hung in there. ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
JParker

2005-02-13          105998

I haven't used my tiller that much yet, but was very impressed with it when I used it last year for breaking new ground. I made only one pass, full depth, but very slow. Soil turned into a soft powder with lots of freshly broken up rocks.

I don't know if better technique would have helped with the rock issue, but the tiller did excellent.

How wide is the TC35DA? My B7800 has about a 60" track. The 4' KK tiller I bought is offset and covers my 5' tracks very nicely. $999 last year from Tractor Supply. I don't see it on the web site now though.

Good Luck

- JP ....

weight of the KK 72 quot

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-13          106004

Parker
I am planning to plow and pick rock the first time before tilling. I have been there before picking after tilling. 1 rock is now 3 LOL. Dont think there is anyway around it though if you till before you pick rock.
Plots1
Pretty bad year for us (good for the deer) I was shamed nto harvesting a smallish 9pt. My son was ribbing me pretty good about not seeing any deer. I went out that day with intentions of lowering my requirements just a tad. Unfortunately the deer I took had only a 13" spread. It had a dished rack on one side and was not letting this one go only to see it at 100yrds to be a shooter. Last year I did that, let one go and afterwards kicked myself cause I realized (after further review, my brother-in-law shot it) LOL it was pretty decent. Anyway we saw next to no deer. The same 4 were coming to the plots in daylight 1-mother 2 fawns and a forked buck. Sone saw them almost every day he sat the plots. I hunt the woods and saw only that buck and 4 antlerless running with him. 2 other guys saw a 6 point and let it walk and only 1 more doe. I thought, "what the heck is going on here!) I set out a game cam on Monday and on Wed. I returned. after season I was all depressed, got the picture developed and just about hit the ground with my son! Some real nice bucks were on it. 6 different bucks total all in one night.! Looks like I need to revise my plans on how and where to hunt. The game cam gave me new hope and a vision of where these bucks are holing up during the day. Anyway I posted a pic of it with my son and his friend at picture 19 (sorry the only one I have of it, not nice enough to brag so one was enough lol)

For what ever reasons the bucks were utilizing the plots exclusively at night. We had 5-6 guys surounded in the 240 acres we were hunting. We saw squat for deer movement. Wi. also had a antlerless hunt 3 weeks prior and that may have contributed to the lack of movement. Dont really know but the deer cam pics saved me from laying down black top in all the pots and calling them a road. Seems like thats where I saw more bucks this year, on the roads.
How about you? Have any luck/skill LOL ....

Picture Link

Go Top

Share This

Member Login