Go Bottom

3 PT Question

View my Photos
activeirrigation
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-28          94816

Hey everyone.

I'm an irrigation contractor and need to be able to trench 2-1/2" wide by 8" deep over long distances (some subdivision entrances can total almost 3/4 of a mile). I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC so I mostly trench in dirt/sand or gumbo clay. (very few rocks but some healthy roots)

I have a craftsman GT5000 garden tractor with a 27 hp engine and extra heavy duty manual transmission. I'm thinking of mounting the Bolton power equipment 3 pt PTO trencher on an Agri-Fab 3 point trailer and towing it behind the tractor. The trailer has a winch to raise and lower the trencher. The trencher requires at lease 21hp at the PTO turning at either 540 or 1000 rpm.

I think that I could mount an engine with some type of clutch mechanism (or hydraulics?) to take the place of a tractor's PTO.
I don't have a lot of knowledge as to engines, transmissions, hydraulics, etc so what I need to know is this:

If an ordinary engine turning at 3600 rpm is rated at 4hp will it achieve 24hp if it's geared down to 600 rpm (standard 6:1 reduction available from most engine manufacturers)It seems to me that it should based on the formula: HP = Torque X (RPM/63025); and

What would be the best way to connect the 3 pt trencher implement to the engine (belts, geared clutch, hydraulics, etc).

I sure would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks

Gene

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 PT Question

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-28          94844

I think you are opening a can of worms. There are too many factors to consider. My advice: Ditch the craftsman and get a true tractor. The less head ache in trying to make some thing work the better, then that equals more money in your pock in the long run. ....

3 PT Question

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-30          94952

You are increasing the torque when you gear down by a factor of six because you are increasing the force available. But this increased force is available over a decreased rotational distance so HP stays the same (minus extra mechanical losses). Horsepower is energy (1 HP ~ 750 Watts) and energy is conserved in all cases.
Dave ....

3 PT Question

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-09-01          95293

I'm with Oneace. I'm an excavating contractor. That trailer thing doesn't have enough weight to it to keep the trencher bar down; I own a ride-on 4x4 Case trencher with a cutting bar 8" wide that weighs 6,000lb. and I have been nearly thown off it when the cutting bar hit an obstruction (it bounces up and down). For the time you put in writing your question :) you could have rented a trencher for a couple hundred bucks---or if you do this work often drop $3000 and buy a viratory plow pipe puller or even a small Ditchwitch or Vermeer trencher. ....

3 PT Question

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-09-01          95309

This will sound harsh but you might want to look professional and have the right professional equipment and tools to do the job. Showing up with a Craftsman to do trenching is amaturish, and I bet would bring extra scrutiny on your capabilites as a contractor...its your business and image that should be taken into account...

Duc ....

3 PT Question

View my Photos
beagle

2004-09-01          95316

You will spend more time and money dealing with the issues you are creating than you would getting set up with the right equipment. There are several issues with your plan that need to be considered:

Your manual transmission may not move at the creep rate you need for the trencher. A couple good obstructions on the trencher will probably ace the transmission in the Craftsmen.

A secondary gas engine with a 21hp gear reduction box is going to cost you a couple thousand bucks. Add in mounts, couplings, etc., you see where this is going.

The trecher is going to bounce that trailered 3pt get-up like a cinched bronco.

Sounds like a fun science fair project, but probably not a money maker. Get the right piece of equipment to do the job SAFELY. As a previous poster already mentioned, approach this professionally, it will make your money back.

Trust me when I say that I don't mean this to sound negative, but there is an annual Ruge Goldberg (sp?)competition that your set-up might be a winner at. There is an American fascination with the creative and inventive mind that pulls pieces together into a working mechanism. You seem to have one of those minds.

But, SAFETY first. Have Fun. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login